[SOLVED] Is my new prebuilt gaming PC worth it? Or should I build one my self?

Oct 13, 2021
So I've been due for an upgrade from my old computer for a while now and was considering building my own PC for the first time. However, I came across a deal on a prebuilt at a local computer store that costed 3,000$ but had been marked down to 2,600$ and seemed pretty good for the price. I have a short period of time to return the computer if it ends up not being what I wanted. So, my main concerns are:

1. The motherboard and PSU. It seem like it's common for prebuilt PCs to spend more on the GPU and CPU and skimp on motherboard and PSU. It looks like this is true for this computer but I'm not sure how bad it is. Will the components of this computer work well together and what might some of the negative effects be? My main concern is with the motherboard as I'm not really sure what the negatives of having a budget board on a gaming PC are besides probably limiting my overclocking potential. The PSU seems like something I could upgrade pretty easily if it's subpar.

2. The cooling. the case seems a little small (I don't have exact measurements) but the ventilation looks good and it's got a decent amount of fans. However, what would be the ideal temperature range for the CPU and GPU to stay within and are there any programs anyone can recommend for monitoring these things.

Here are the specs:
msi z490-a pro
Intel Core i9 10th Gen 10850K 3.6GHz Processor
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080Ti 12GB GDDR6X
32GB DDR4-3200 RAM
1TB Solid State Drive
750 watt PSU
(I believe the PSU is the "PowerSpec 750 Watt 80 Plus Gold ATX Fully Modular Power Supply" but not 100% sure.)
Also here's a link to the actual PC I bought https://www.microcenter.com/product/640630/powerspec-g469-gaming-pc

I wanted to go kind of big with this PC so I don't mind spending a little more if a few hundred more dollars would go a long way in performance for a PC that I built myself, my max budget being about 3,000. Also, I plan to use this PC exclusively for gaming so please let me know if this is perhaps overkill, Thanks:).

Solution
what would be the ideal temperature range for the CPU and GPU
good temperatures for both CPU & GPU would be ~30-35°C idling
and ~60-65°C max for heavy gaming , etc.

high temps would be 75+°C for either but still not dangerous to either component.
I plan to use this PC exclusively for gaming so please let me know if this is perhaps overkill
that would only depend on your intentions;
in-game settings you want to use, resolution you wish to play at, and the frame rates you would like to reach.

if you were only planning 120fps @ 1080p then this is overkill but as time progresses it will take a more powerful system to reach this so you could just say it's a bit more "future proof".

currently running RTX 3080 Ti & i7-11700K...
what would be the ideal temperature range for the CPU and GPU
good temperatures for both CPU & GPU would be ~30-35°C idling
and ~60-65°C max for heavy gaming , etc.

high temps would be 75+°C for either but still not dangerous to either component.
I plan to use this PC exclusively for gaming so please let me know if this is perhaps overkill
that would only depend on your intentions;
in-game settings you want to use, resolution you wish to play at, and the frame rates you would like to reach.

if you were only planning 120fps @ 1080p then this is overkill but as time progresses it will take a more powerful system to reach this so you could just say it's a bit more "future proof".

currently running RTX 3080 Ti & i7-11700K and can max out my monitor's 120Hz refresh rate pretty easily in just about every game with highest settings @ 3440x1440p.
common for prebuilt PCs to spend more on the GPU and CPU and skimp on motherboard and PSU
it's a decent Z490 motherboard.
due to pretty small VRM heatsinks i would keep an eye on VRM temperatures and if they are getting high i would consider something else.

the case is smaller but Lian Li makes quality products so it's designed pretty well.
i would probably replace front & rear fans with 2x 140mm front intakes / 1x 140mm rear exhaust high pressure fans.

power supply is some microcenter branded product, have no idea who actually produces them.
you would have to do some more research into what it actually is to determine quality but most "generic" models are fairly low quality.
any programs anyone can recommend for monitoring these things.
you can use MSI Afterburner with RivaTuner or HWiNFO for both notification area stats and/or an OSD for while in fullscreen applications.

Reactions: Exordanary
Solution

LeviTech

Commendable
Sep 27, 2021
I think that all components in this build are pretty good.
The PSU may have not a XPTO branded but it's a 750W and 80 Plus Gold , so probably it would not explode :)
Like JohnBonhamsGhost mention, keep an eye in VRM temps.
If you see that the temps are higher than normal, you can consider VRM heatsinks if you want to maintain that mainboard.

Reactions: Exordanary