[SOLVED] Is my new PSU good enough?

Jozla123

Reputable
Apr 25, 2017
I was playing CS:GO and my PC suddenly turned off. My first guess was that my PSU is dead and i was right. My neighbour brought me the new one and PC is working again. I have tested it and it's working fine in games and everything but i have 2 questions:

1. The old PSU was 500W and the new one is a little bit weaker, so can my PC work normally with this one without any problems or shutting down or something? (https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img922/9405/moZT7c.jpg --photo of a new PSU )
  2. Temperature of my GPU in games like LoL and Fortnite is not going over 70 degrees, and in CS:GO it's betwean 80 and 85 sometimes it jumps even to 90 but it get's back fast. So are these temperatures normal?

Specs:
AMD Athlon X4 840 Quad Core 3.10 GHz
AMD Radeon R7 360 2GB
8 GB of RAM
ASUS A68HM-K matherboard

Solution
The old PSU was 500W and the new one is a little bit weaker, so can my PC work normally with this one without any problems or shutting down or something? (https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img922/9405/moZT7c.jpg --photo of a new PSU )
The problem with this isn't necessarily the power, but the quality. What is the make and model of the PSU you have linked? Based on the image, it certainly would look like a poor quality unit, and poor quality units are renowned for causing the problems you describe, as they use much cheaper internal components that regulate output, and often don't deliver the power that they advertise that they do.

As long as the replacement PSU is a good quality unit of around the same power, you...

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
The old PSU was 500W and the new one is a little bit weaker, so can my PC work normally with this one without any problems or shutting down or something? (https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img922/9405/moZT7c.jpg --photo of a new PSU )
The problem with this isn't necessarily the power, but the quality. What is the make and model of the PSU you have linked? Based on the image, it certainly would look like a poor quality unit, and poor quality units are renowned for causing the problems you describe, as they use much cheaper internal components that regulate output, and often don't deliver the power that they advertise that they do.

As long as the replacement PSU is a good quality unit of around the same power, you should be fine. Also the R7 360 from my awareness can use up to 100W, which with only a MAX of 144W on the 12V rail, isn't tons of headroom.

Temperature of my GPU in games like LoL and Fortnite is not going over 70 degrees, and in CS:GO it's betwean 80 and 85 sometimes it jumps even to 90 but it get's back fast. So are these temperatures normal?
Most GPUs can quite easily handle 90/100 degrees. As long as it's not prolonged exposure at that temp, you should be fine.

Solution

jason201

Prominent
Feb 20, 2018
1. Watts in a PSU isn't a universal concept, what really matters is the brand and the ampere rating (which can vary, even with PSUs of the same wattage). As for that PSU in particular, I wouldn't trust it! It's a generic cheapo (which can potentially fry your components at a later time!) Better have it replaced with one of a respectable brand (such as Seasonic/Corsair/Antec/EVGA) - Last thing you wanna cheap out on is the PSU!

2. Videos cards in general tend to get very hot, that said, if it reaches 85-90 C, I'd be concerned. You might wanna clean up it's fan/heatsink from dust, as well as remove em, clean up the thermal paste and re-apply. While video cards are made to handle high temperatures, too high for long periods of time can damage em, and I'd say you're approaching the limit.

Jozla123

Reputable
Apr 25, 2017
Thank you for your replies.
So i guess i will buy new PSU soon that's the best solution.
And about temperatures it depends of a game but i have cleaned my GPU fans and i have replaced thermal paste so i guess it will be fine .

Jozla123

Reputable
Apr 25, 2017
There is only one problem,at the moment, i don't have enough money for those expensive PSU-s so can u tell me what's the best PSU that i can buy for like 30-35 euros or i really need to spend 60 euros or more?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
There is only one problem,at the moment, i don't have enough money for those expensive PSU-s so can u tell me what's the best PSU that i can buy for like 30-35 euros or i really need to spend 60 euros or more?
If you don't have the money now, save up.

Honestly, as much as it might be a pain, we don't recommend more expensive PSUs because we want you to spend more money or for "FPS".
You really do need to spend more. Cheap PSUs use lower grade OEM manufacturers and use cheap components which risk the safety of your other components. And the last thing you should skrimp on, is the component that literally provides direct power to your entire system.

View: https://youtu.be/vY27LkiEROg

If a PSU blows and takes out other components (which Cheap PSUs often do) - any warranty you have will not cover the rest of your components.
Honestly you can spend 30 euros now, and potentially run the risk of this happening, or save for a bit, and pay for a PSU knowing it comes with a better warranty and protects the rest of your PC should worst case happens. We have a common saying:

Despite whatever money you save on a cheap PSU now, it will cost you more when it fails later

You can get a cheap PSU if you want, but you do so at your own risk. We say so because the last thing we would want is for you to pay this money anyway, for it to damage other components, getting a good quality PSU means you can rest knowing the PSU should work for the next few years without issue. And it really does pay to save and get a good quality unit.

So in reality, it is up to you my friend, but if you really care about your components, save and get a good quality unit and you won't regret it!