Question Is my new RAM shot or is this a BIOS setting ?

Nucl3ar

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2013
Hey all just got a new 4x16 set of Gskill Royal Elite 3600 14-14-14-34 and I can't get the PC to boot into windows, or even give me a bios option. Even trying 2 sticks in each set of ports could only get it to light (Using all 4 nothing lights up) up but same problem no boot. When I am attempting to boot I get no change of post code on the mobo at all just sits at a "00". Pop back in the old 4x16 Gskill Royal 3600 16-16-16-36 and boots again no problem. I did buy this ram for a new Dark Hero that's on the way but decided to give this a try in my current Gigabyte Aorus master.

By the sounds of things do you think I got dead ram, or is it possibly a voltage issue? I know this new ram is 1.45v where as the older kit is 1.35v.

Oh I did make sure I reset Xmp before I shut down and installed the new ram

UPDATE SPECS

5900X

Gigabyte Aorus Master rev 1.1 x570
6900xt
Sabrent 1tb/Sabrent 2tb/Seagate 4tb
Corsair rm850x
Lian Li o11 xl
Corsair ql120 x 10
Current Ram 4x16 Gskill 3600 ca16 (Full Kit)
Windows 10 Pro

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Was that new 4 x 16 GB set of RAM a matched set for dual channel use?

Where was the new RAM purchased?

Check the motherboard's User Guide/Manual to verify that the new RAM is indeed supported. Most likely you will need to visit the motherboard's manufacturer's website for updated information and the QVL (Qualified Vendors List).

Also - some motherboards require that the first physically installed RAM module be placed in a specific slot.

Reference the memory installation instructions in the motherboard's User Guide/Manual.

Nucl3ar

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2013
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Was that new 4 x 16 GB set of RAM a matched set for dual channel use?

Where was the new RAM purchased?

Check the motherboard's User Guide/Manual to verify that the new RAM is indeed supported. Most likely you will need to visit the motherboard's manufacturer's website for updated information and the QVL (Qualified Vendors List).

Also - some motherboards require that the first physically installed RAM module be placed in a specific slot.

Reference the memory installation instructions in the motherboard's User Guide/Manual.

• Updated OP to include Specs
  • The new set is a 4x16 kit not seperate sets
  • Purchased from Newegg
  • Gigabyte qvl is very old and doesn't include much even my current set isn't on it. Gskills qvl includes it compatible with both the current mobo, and the new one.
  • Ram was installed the same with both sets...A1/B1/A2/B2. As I said in OP the older set works fine as soon as it's put back in.

I thought I might of had it last night when I noticed I was still on a bios from 9/20, but even upgrading to the newest from late '21 and doing a full proper switch over (setting bios to default, draining caps, clearing cmos) got the same results.

At this point I'm not sure if I should just start the rma process now or wait until the Dark Hero is here to test in that. It shipped yesterday could have by Friday. Honestly though I'm waiting on a couple other parts and was planning on doing a full rebuild in the next couple weeks with a fresh windows install. I'll see what my return window is, and maybe reach out to them and let them know what's going on.

Any other ideas?

Nucl3ar

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2013
Not an idea - more of a question at this time.

Noted that the new RAM 1.45 volts and that the old RAM is 1.35 volts.

Verify that the motherboard will support 1.45 RAM modules. And any configuration changes required to do so.

I have checked in Hwmonitor what voltage the older kit is running at and it's reporting between 1.368-1.380 currently.

Checking the qvl there is sets on there that are rated at 1.45V, but sadly as I said my kit isn't on there, nor is this 1.35v kit that works. I did try a web search but couldn't find much of anything relating my board to 1.45v memory. The little I did find were people having problems with xmp and such.

Try updating BIOS. Try pulling the CMOS battery. Probably Motherboard doesn't like the tight RAM timing. I would put in the 2 sticks in A2, B2 slots and see if I can get into the bios. Then I'd manually enter some lose timing and sub-timing. Then try all 4 sticks and tighten the timing manually. Lots of work since you're going to be swapping motherboards anyway. In some boards, you can run faster RAM in A2, B2 than in A1, B1. A1, B1 are your RAM limiting slots. The manual for your board says to do A2 B2 for dual channel first.

Nucl3ar

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2013
Try updating BIOS. Try pulling the CMOS battery. Probably Motherboard doesn't like the tight RAM timing. I would put in the 2 sticks in A2, B2 slots and see if I can get into the bios. Then I'd manually enter some lose timing and sub-timing. Then try all 4 sticks and tighten the timing manually. Lots of work since you're going to be swapping motherboards anyway. In some boards, you can run faster RAM in A2, B2 than in A1, B1. A1, B1 are your RAM limiting slots. The manual for your board says to do A2 B2 for dual channel first.

Just got finished trying every possibly 2 stick combo utilizing both A1/B1, and A2/B2 but nothing would give me a display or anything besides the 00 post code. Oddly a couple times the sticks would light up but it was less often then not. After a billion attempts later I pop the original ram back in and works like a charm.

Time to send it but now I'm not sure if I should try this again, or just stick with the ram I got.

Nucl3ar

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2013
I would not give up just yet. Sure it seems the new RAM will not work with Aorus, but that does not mean it will not work with Hero. However if you have time, you can check each stick separately to make sure none of them are DOA.

I would love to do that but with a closing rma window, and some of my parts for rebuild are dragging. I'm switching up pretty much everything and would rather do it all at once for my future sanity lol

Reactions: DRagor

Nucl3ar

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2013
Yeah, if your rma window closes before you will get new board it's probably safer to get rid of this RAM.

I shipped them back even though my Mobo is out for delivery today. I'm doing a full rebuild pretty much including psu, aio, mobo, fans, and a new m.2 for my os. After today's delivery's get done I only need the m.2 which still hasn't shipped. I believe I did enough thorough testing of the ram and just requested a replacement instead of a refund so we'll try this again in the new setup.

Nucl3ar

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2013
Little update after a suggestion on another Forum I tried my current ram at 1.45v on the Gigabyte board and it booted no problem. Hardware monitor confirmed it was running at 1.452v, and gamed for about 30-45mins with temps all in check.

Helps reinforce my decision to send the ram back, and hopefully the kit that returns will work.