Question Is my new SSD broken? Not able to install OS in it. Sometime it doesn't show up in "My computer"

deepanshuchg

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2013
So I bought Crucial MX500(CT500MX500SSD1) SSD a couple of days ago, and installed it in my current PC config:

Intel i5 4570 3.2 GHz
Gigabye b85m-d3h
Corsair Vengeance 4GB X 2
Antec vp450p
NZXT Source Elite210
Western Digital Blue 1TB

After installing it internally using an old SATA cable (which was connected to a DVD writer which I don't use anymore) I went to Disk Management, initialized it, clicked on Create Simple Volume, Next Next., then before the SSD was formatted I got a BSOD. View: https://imgur.com/06TaOkx

After the computer restarted, I was not able to see the SSD in "My Computer". When I tried to format the drive from Disk Management or Change the letter I was getting these errors View: https://imgur.com/a/FB8dJD8

After a lot of tweaking, it was now showing up in "My computer". Now, I installed MiniTool tried to clone Windows 7 from my current HDD to the SSD, but as soon as the process started, I again got BSOD. View: https://imgur.com/a/DjdVZ9b

Since cloning sometimes causes problems, I formatted the SSD, tried installing Windows 10 directly from the HDD using This tool but again got BSOD. I formatted the SSD again and tried to install Win10 using a bootable drive but again got BSOD. I didn't have a big enough Pendrive so I had to use This tool to optimize the ISO file to fit it in 4 GB Pendrive. My country is under lockdown so there wasn't a way to get a bigger USB drive.

Here are the result of crystal disk info for both HDD and SSD : View: https://imgur.com/a/GHbRFoX

Now I don't understand what is going wrong here. Is there a way to make sure whether my SSD is fine and its just the way I am trying to install the OS which is causing issues?

Jmusic88

Prominent
Mar 11, 2020
How old is your RAM? I'm just wondering if maybe the RAM is what's causing your BSOD. You can test that with memtest86, the default is 4 passes (my 16 GB ram took about 5.5 hrs though, yours might take less time)

You could try "Sentinel Hard Drive", it may give you a bit more detailed explanation if it detects any errors. But crystaldiskinfo is giving you a good status, so that's weird.

deepanshuchg

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2013
How old is your RAM? I'm just wondering if maybe the RAM is what's causing your BSOD. You can test that with memtest86, the default is 4 passes (my 16 GB ram took about 5.5 hrs though, yours might take less time)

You could try "Sentinel Hard Drive", it may give you a bit more detailed explanation if it detects any errors. But crystaldiskinfo is giving you a good status, so that's weird.
I bought one stick when I built the setup more than 6 years ago, bought the second just a few months back. I had to replace this ram which I just bought because the one I received was giving me frequent BSOD, but after replacing it I hardly faced any issue in the last 3-4 months. I will still run the test tomorrow and will post the result. I will also try Sentinel Hard Drive and will update.

try other sata port on the motherboard?
Will do.

Also, I was thinking of trying to install ubuntu on the SSD (after disconnecting HDD) to check if I will be able to. If I succeed in that, would that imply that I will be able to install win10 later following the regular procedure once I get a big enough USB drive? I am asking this because my SSD is still under the return period which will soon expire so I need to make sure if the SSD is broken or the way I am installing win10 is causing this issue.

Jmusic88

Prominent
Mar 11, 2020
I bought one stick when I built the setup more than 6 years ago, bought the second just a few months back. I had to replace this ram which I just bought because the one I received was giving me frequent BSOD, but after replacing it I hardly faced any issue in the last 3-4 months. I will still run the test tomorrow and will post the result. I will also try Sentinel Hard Drive and will update.

Will do.

So your RAM sticks are not identical to each other? It is usually recommended to install RAM as sets, as non identical sticks could cause issues. It could be that you are experiencing it now. Without replacing them you may not know, hopefully memtest86 finds any errors.

deepanshuchg

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2013
So your RAM sticks are not identical to each other? It is usually recommended to install RAM as sets, as non identical sticks could cause issues. It could be that you are experiencing it now. Without replacing them you may not know, hopefully memtest86 finds any errors.
They are completely identical, just bought at different times. Both of them are Corsair Vengeance 4GB. Also, I only received BSOD when trying to interfere with the new SSD in some way.

Jmusic88

Prominent
Mar 11, 2020
They are completely identical, just bought at different times. Both of them are Corsair Vengeance 4GB. Also, I only received BSOD when trying to interfere with the new SSD in some way.

I am not saying RAM is the cause. But if they are not sold in sets, they still may cause issues. You have 2 RAM sticks that are separated by 6 years.

Doing a memtest86 won't hurt. If it comes out with 0 errors then perfect. Lots of the times RAMs will fail during the hammer test (test 13).

It's just weird that your SSDs health looks good. Maybe sata cables/port like rgd1101 mentioned might be an issue. Or maybe something else other than the SSD is causing that. I'm just thinking 'outside the box'.

deepanshuchg

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2013
I am not saying RAM is the cause. But if they are not sold in sets, they still may cause issues. You have 2 RAM sticks that are separated by 6 years.

Doing a memtest86 won't hurt. If it comes out with 0 errors then perfect. Lots of the times RAMs will fail during the hammer test (test 13).

Of course, I will run the test overnight as I was about to hit the bed and will report about it tomorrow. Will also try to use a different SATA port. I can't get my hands on a new SATA cable (due to lockdown) else would have tried that as well.

deepanshuchg

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2013
Update:

I was able to install the latest version of ubuntu on the SSD. I disconnected the HDD while doing so. Now are there any tools on linux which can test the SSD thoroughly or I don't need to check anything else and the SSD is completely fine?

To remind everyone, I don't have access to a big enough USB drive to make it win 10 bootable so I was using third party tools (to either install win10 directly from the hdd without creating bootable usb or to optimize the iso file to fit in a 4gb usb drive) to install win10 on the ssd, so maybe thats what was causing the bsod.

TRENDING THREADS