[SOLVED] Is my "No signal" problem due to GPU or broken PCI-E slot?

Jan 24, 2021
Hi,

I just received my GPU (XFX 5700XT ThiccIII) from the XFX support because it had a problem with one of the fans.
After re-installing it, I now can't turn on the PC and I have the "no signal" message.
I tried the screen on another PC, and it works fine.
I also realized that the PCI-E slot is a little bit damaged.

So my question is: could the problem come from the PCI slot? Before I sent it to the support, the PC was correctly starting...
Or is this the graphic card ? as it just comes back from the support, it would be suprising

https://www.casimages.com/i/210124081556768569.jpg

Thanks a lot for your help

Solution
Try the card in that other pc. As long as it gets power, it should boot just fine with any psu size, just don't try playing any games that'd draw big power. All cards have basic vga output, and windows has its own drivers, so gpu specific drivers are unnecessary except to open the advanced resolutions and performance.

If it works in the other pc, you have a safe bet you messed up the pcie slot. If the other gpu in the other pc works in your pc, then safe bet the card is malfunctioning and the pcie is fine.

Once you eliminate possibilities, whatever is left, no matter how improbable, will be the answer.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Try the card in that other pc. As long as it gets power, it should boot just fine with any psu size, just don't try playing any games that'd draw big power. All cards have basic vga output, and windows has its own drivers, so gpu specific drivers are unnecessary except to open the advanced resolutions and performance.

If it works in the other pc, you have a safe bet you messed up the pcie slot. If the other gpu in the other pc works in your pc, then safe bet the card is malfunctioning and the pcie is fine.

Once you eliminate possibilities, whatever is left, no matter how improbable, will be the answer.

Solution
Jan 24, 2021
Hi,

Thank you both for your prompt replies.

I tried the following, and I still have nothing else that this "no signal":
  • plug the screen on the HDMI slot of the Mobo
  • remove the CMOS battery for 10mn
  • start the PC with no SSD
  • plug another GPU in the PCI-E slot: the fans of this other GPU start
  • start the PC with only one RAM module on the A2 slot
All components are less than 6 months old, so it's very weird.

@InvalidError: Indeed, the little damage I was refering to is on top of this anchor tab. Maybe I pushed a bit too much while inserting the GPU, but as I still have this signal when pluging the GPU on the Mobo, it's probably something else

Thanks again for your help.
Rob

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2021
Hi,
I went to a computer shop today. They tried my GPU on one of their PCs and it didn't start neither. They tried one of their cards on my PC, and it started...
I can't believe the graphic card still has a problem.
Anyway, looks like I'll need to send it back again and wait a few more weeks before getting this PC.
Thanks for your help.