Is my Noctua UH-12P-SE2 enough for an i9 9900K at stock?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

K1llrzzZ

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2013
Hi!

I'm planning to upgrade my old i7 4770K to an i9 9900K. I have an older CPU cooler (the one in the title), I looked it up in the Noctua website and it is compatible with the motherboard I choos (Asus ROG Strix Z390-H Gaming), but the question is will it be enough to cool my CPU? I read that they can get pretty hot, but also that there is a 95W TDP limit by default which reduces the temperature significantly. I should also note that I have a pretty good case (Coolermaster HAF 932) that has great cooling. Now as I said in the title I'm not planning to overclock, I only buy this CPU because my 4770K was getting old. I mostly use my PC for gaming.

Thank you guys for the answer!

Solution
Well, I am running an i9 9900K and this is no way I could recommend any cooler less than a NH D15 for it, even at stock speeds.

Not sure what is going on with the Z390 boards, I am running a Z370 MB, AORUS Z370 Gaming 5.

But even then something is messed up with the new BIOS versions that cause the VCORE to go crazy high (1.5V) so I want back to the F7 Bios and that works great. That was crazy high even with the i7 8086 CPU with the new F10 and F11 BIOS, over 1.4V.....

Now if you look at mine here you will see the 9900K at 5 GHz MCE is actually pulling up to 179W running Prime 95.

I9_9900K_Prime_95_Temps_.JPG

And here is OCCT, pushes harder...