TempTop

Prominent
Mar 9, 2020
I recently used some older components including my Gigabyte GA-78-LMT-S2 to make a guest gaming PC, upon build completion it wouldn't boot. PSU non-responsive, case fans non-responsive, MOBO non-responsive. So I figured it's either front IO, PSU, Case/MOBO incompatibility, or dead MOBO.

So I started the troubleshooting process by removing the GPU, pulling up a .pdf of the motherboard and making sure the front IO headers cables were plugged in correctly. Still nothing. Suspecting a dead PSU I removed the PSU from another PC and tested it with a brand new Corsair PSU. Still nothing. Then I assumed that it must be some sort of incompatibility between the case (a newer Cooler Master model) and the 2011 AM3 board, so I jumped the MOBO using a screwdriver and still nothing. So at this point it's either a shorted MOBO or dead MOBO. All the standoffs are placed securely. I don't have a meter.

Any older experienced PC wizards wanna chime in on this one? What else should I be looking for? What else can I do?

Here is a list of components: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/n8DfcT

[SOLVED]
I solved it myself. I went ahead and disassembled the PC, placed the MOBO on a cardboard box, plugged in some RGB to show she's working, and a quick tap she powered up. It was the motherboard making contact with the rear of the case and was shorting it out (even though all the standoffs were in). Thus preventing it from booting. Luckily the motherboard and PSU are both in good health.

Last edited:
Solution
If you are sure the PSU is good....which it sounds it...and you jumped it at the MB...and you get zero....I would recheck all the connections and reseat everything...and make sure you don't have anything funny going on with the MB and the case...like something is touching something it shouldn't be.

If it's none of this...I think probably it's a bad MB.
If you are sure the PSU is good....which it sounds it...and you jumped it at the MB...and you get zero....I would recheck all the connections and reseat everything...and make sure you don't have anything funny going on with the MB and the case...like something is touching something it shouldn't be.

If it's none of this...I think probably it's a bad MB.

Solution

TempTop

Prominent
Mar 9, 2020
like something is touching something it shouldn't be.

I solved it myself. I went ahead and disassembled the PC, placed the MOBO on a cardboard box, plugged in some RGB to show she's working, and a quick tap she powered up. It was the motherboard making contact with the rear of the case and was shorting it out (even though all the standoffs were in). Thus preventing it from booting. Luckily the motherboard and PSU are both in good health. But have a free 'Best Answer' anyway for also being right.