[SOLVED] Is my Nvidia 2080TI founders edition dead?

Martin_49

Reputable
Mar 27, 2016
Hello all,

First off, the specs:

ASUS ROG Strix Z370-E GAMING
Intel Core i7-8700K
Geforce 2080TI Founders Edition
64GB 3000MHz DDR4 SDRAM
Samsung 970 EVO SSD M.2 512GB

So i've been having massive problems with my PC these last few days.

I hadn't had the PC turned on for about a week, and when i finally booted it up, the screen went black, and then turned off, as soon as it reached the windows loading screen. I played around with it, but nothing worked. I figured it might have been a bad driver, so i decided to do a wipe and a clean install, since i had been wanting to do that anyway. I imagined that would fix the display problem, but the screen again turned black during the new windows install, at the point during the install when you're setting your new PIN for the windows log in. Right as i clicked OK, the screen shut off again.

I tried to do the install again, but the same thing happened. It seems that as soon as the PC turns to the GPU, it fails to recognize it. I also tried to take the GPU out and start up with the onboard graphic driver, but i couldn´t get the monitor to work with the onboard displayport. I´ve also tried switching GPU port on the MB, but it was the same.

I can't see the GPU anywhere in the BIOS, but maybe that's normal. Not sure about that.

I'm slighty scared that my GPU might have died. Does anyone have any ideas what to do, or what to try?

Reactions: popwithNOtart
Solution
try taking your GPU out. the intel i7 8700k has integrated graphics so plug the HDMI cable into your motherboard so it can display through your CPU. if it boots without your GPU I'm like 90% sure your GPU is dead. if it DOESNT work, your gpu is probably alive
Jun 30, 2020
try taking your GPU out. the intel i7 8700k has integrated graphics so plug the HDMI cable into your motherboard so it can display through your CPU. if it boots without your GPU I'm like 90% sure your GPU is dead. if it DOESNT work, your gpu is probably alive

Solution