Is my NVidia 8600 GT dying?

PBUK

Honorable
Mar 6, 2013
Hi guys. Please, please can you help me...I have a Dell XPS 420 PC and a couple of days ago I was surfing the net when I appeared to have a pixel invasion on my screen and the PC Crashed. On next reboot I got to the home screen but everything was blurry swirly colours with white dots and lines all over the place and it crashed again.

I have an old Radeon X600 which I put in to test but my PC wouldnt even start so I assume it is not compatible.

I have just installed a bootable ubuntu os which installed fine, but once again in the home page I have the blurs and dots everywhere and she crashed again. Is it time for a new GPU? If I just want a basic HD GPU for playing HD Video, some online games and HD video streaming and an all round decent experience is the NVidia 210 ok, as I am really low on cash?

I'd appreciate your help.

Cheers guys,

Pete

If all you do is flash games internet stuff a 210 would be fine. Just out of curiousity, can you boot into safe mode without the colors? The other gpu should work fine so you might have another issue.

Maxx_Power

Distinguished
The 8600's have a NOTORIOUS reputation for dying. There was a whole "bump-gate" investigation into this. The fallout was a recall on the mobile side, since no single OEM had enough 8600's deployed to warrant a desktop-side recall.

If the old X600 was a working pull, I'd give that a try again. That card should work on your current computer.

PBUK

Honorable
Mar 6, 2013
Cheers guys. :) Forgot to say that I booted into safe mode and had the same problem. The X600 was taken out of an old HP Pavilion that had a fried mobo. Will I need to do anything with the bios perhaps to get the X600 working?

If not I saw a review on the 210 and people were raving about how good it was for the cost so will probably go down that road until I get some more dough

I really appreciate all of your help :)

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

You can try resetting the CMOS (look at the manual or the motherboard to locate it). It could be that when the board in the old computer fried, the X600 died also.

The 210 is a fine card for casual types of things, are you planning to game any ?

PBUK

Honorable
Mar 6, 2013

Nah not gaming on the XPS but I hear low settings will work on the 210 for most games comfortably. Seems too good to be true for the price.

When I say the mobo fried it was when an external CD drive I was given seemed to burn something out on the mobo and all usb ports became inactive. (It was a very old PC though and was heavily used) I'll give the CMOS a reset and see what happens.

Cheers :)

PBUK

Honorable
Mar 6, 2013
Will the 210 be ok for video converting and stuff do yo know? If not the 210 what other cheap gpu do you guys recommend? Thanks for the link to the GT430 btw but am in the UK. Seems harder to get GPU over here than in the states after google results :)

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

Scan (in the UK) has a few gt 430's, the cheapest one is here:

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/1gb-...hz-shader-1400mhz-96-cores-d-sub-dual-link-dv

If you are counting on the GPU to do the conversion, then forget it... Nvidia lists the GT 430 as supporting CUDA, so I would imagine you can try video encoding on that GPU, although it won't be extremely fast, but then again, the 210 would be even slower, that's IF the 210 supports any form of GPU-assisted encoding.

PBUK

Honorable
Mar 6, 2013
Hi this is with my Nvidia 8600 installed -

n43rvcfwt

This is with an old Radeon X600 -

c5sid5rbh

Would you say both cards are knackered or is there something worse?

Many thanks for your help

PBUK

Honorable
Mar 6, 2013
Hi this is with my Nvidia 8600 installed -

http://postimage.org/image/n43rvcfwt/

This is with an old Radeon X600 -

http://postimage.org/image/c5sid5rbh/

Would you say both cards are knackered or is there something worse?

Many thanks for your help

PBUK

Honorable
Mar 6, 2013
I dont want to buy a new card if the problem is deeper. Any help would be greatly appreciated

PBUK

Honorable
Mar 6, 2013

I ordered a GT 610 yesterday from Amazon. Thought id give that a bash as it seems better than my 8600 anyway. Am I right thinking that?

Thanks for your help btw :)

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

Well it is not far from a 8600 (but with a newer architecture), compute capabilities seems higher, render back-ends are a bit lean compared to the 8600, memory bandwidth is less than the 8600. So overall performance might be close depending on what you do with it.

You are very welcome!

PBUK

Honorable
Mar 6, 2013

Hi. I have just installed the GT610 and am now getting a bsod on boot? :-( Any advice what I should do? Cheers

PBUK

Honorable
Mar 6, 2013

I couldn't get into W7 to uninstall the drivers when the old GPU died. What can I do? Any ideas will be appreciated. Cheers

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

I read this a little late, but next time (should there be one) you can always boot into safe-mode then uninstall drivers.