[SOLVED] Is my NVME drive failing?

cerby2412

Reputable
Feb 12, 2018
Hi everyone. I have an NVME drive from a prebuilt that I bought from a local pc shop around three years ago. About two years ago it gave me an issue where the drive would not be detected by the system thus I couldn't boot into my OS. This was easily remedied by taking it out and putting it back in again. The drive would work just fine until you shut down. With this happening for a few days it seemed to sort itself out. Fast forward to a year ago I upgraded to new components such as a new mobo and cpu. Now in the present the problem is happening again with the same solution by taking it out and putting it in again. Could the drive be failing? Used some software to check its health and no issues there. Temps are fine on it as well. Any idea what can cause this? A bad connection? Sorry for the long post

Solution
It could be that the drive is slow to POST, in which case BIOS may time out while waiting for it to come ready. If you interrupt the POST by going into BIOS setup, waiting for a while, and then exiting BIOS, does the SSD then identify itself correctly?

What is the model number of the SSD?
Hi everyone. I have an NVME drive from a prebuilt that I bought from a local pc shop around three years ago. About two years ago it gave me an issue where the drive would not be detected by the system thus I couldn't boot into my OS. This was easily remedied by taking it out and putting it back in again. The drive would work just fine until you shut down. With this happening for a few days it seemed to sort itself out. Fast forward to a year ago I upgraded to new components such as a new mobo and cpu. Now in the present the problem is happening again with the same solution by taking it out and putting it in again. Could the drive be failing? Used some software to check its health and no issues there. Temps are fine on it as well. Any idea what can cause this? A bad connection? Sorry for the long post
Check if there are any firmware updates for the m.2.

It could be that the drive is slow to POST, in which case BIOS may time out while waiting for it to come ready. If you interrupt the POST by going into BIOS setup, waiting for a while, and then exiting BIOS, does the SSD then identify itself correctly?

What is the model number of the SSD?

Solution