[SOLVED] Is my onboard sound card fried?

brood_star

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
The past few days, I've had troubles with my sound where it would start dying down to a barely audible minimum while running games, but a restart would fix it so I thought nothing of it. Yesterday, it cut out completely, and nothing seems to be able to fix it. I am using the onboard sound card with my cheap MSI B360M Bazooka motherboard, and Speccy shows the following under audio:

hW3d.png

-It's not my headphones: headphones works fine when plugged in to my laptop.
-I don't think it's a driver issue: updated my Realtek drivers to latest and no dice, as well as system restoring to about a week ago and still no dice.
-I don't think it's my USB jack?: both front USB jack and line out back jack do not work, although to be fair, I never tested if the back jack ever worked.
-Other oddities: when the sound finally died, it felt almost like if I turned it the audio up to 400%, it would still function as normal. There were very faint whispers and static that mimicked audio playing. Now, I hear absolutely nothing.

I've opened the case up but all the sound cables look to be connected properly, but I'm not an expert with hardware by any means. I'm not sure what else to do—should I just buy a new audio card to test at this point?

Solution
If you had any sound cables inside the case those are for front connectors. Are plugging device to front or back ? Might want to unplug the front ones and try the back connectors. They are comming from same place and if there was a short in some of cables or connectors that would also make problems to rear ones.
If you had any sound cables inside the case those are for front connectors. Are plugging device to front or back ? Might want to unplug the front ones and try the back connectors. They are comming from same place and if there was a short in some of cables or connectors that would also make problems to rear ones.

Solution