Is my PC capable of recording 1080p 60fps?

Jloch98

Reputable
Apr 11, 2015
Hey guys, I have my own YouTube channel, and I want to record at 1080p 60fps if possible. I've had a shitty PC for the past few years, and getting this new one has really encouraged me to start recording more. Unfortunately, I can't get OBS to quite give me 60 fps or 1080p. The biggest problem I run into is encoding bitrate. I started off high, at about 35000, and worked my way down all the way to 5000. And still it looks horrible. I'm thinking I'm either doing this wrong, or I'll need to downscale to 720p if I want to get good smooth gameplay. My specs:

Ryzen 7 1700x
RX 580 8GB
16GB DDR4
1TB HDD
250GB SSD

If you guys could give me any tips it would be much appreciated!

Solution
first of all, 1080p has nothing to do with the quality of the video. That is handled by the bitrate. 1080p refers to the resolution (size) of the video image. You say you are using OBS classic but that menu looks like OBS Studio. Secondly, are you looking to do video editing of your footage? or are you taking the recording as is and uploading it straight to YouTube? If you are doing video editing do you have an SSD or an HDD?

beinik6

Respectable
Nov 12, 2017
No your rig should be fine to record that. I think you just configured obs wrong. I do use it too for streaming, but not for recording.
I think a bitrate of 5000-10000 should be fine. Can you post a screenshot of your settings (all settings)? Also, you using OBS-Classic or studio?

Jloch98

Reputable
Apr 11, 2015

I'm currently using OBS classic. I set my bitrate to about that amount and it still showed little difference.

beinik6

Respectable
Nov 12, 2017
First of all, why shouldnt it be 1080p? It is, but it depends on the bitrate how the image looks in quality. First of all, set your FPS to full 60, not that 59,96 or so. Then try to play with your bitrate. Try with 5000, if it still looks not good enough for you, try 10000. That should work then. Also, what options can you choose on the encoder?

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
first of all, 1080p has nothing to do with the quality of the video. That is handled by the bitrate. 1080p refers to the resolution (size) of the video image. You say you are using OBS classic but that menu looks like OBS Studio. Secondly, are you looking to do video editing of your footage? or are you taking the recording as is and uploading it straight to YouTube? If you are doing video editing do you have an SSD or an HDD?

Solution