[SOLVED] Is my PC capable of upgrading from 32 bit to 64 bit? If so, how?

Aug 19, 2021
I have a Windows 7 32 bit PC, I'm hoping to upgrade from 32 bit to 64 bit. Since, I am also planning to add more RAM as well as be able to play other games. I would also like to know if it's possible for my PC to also upgrade to Windows 10. Though, I heard that there's a chance that the speed of my PC would tremendously drop upon upgrading to Windows 10. My PC is a pretty low end one, So, I think it could be true. If that was true then I'd rather stick with Windows 7 64 bit.

My specs:
AMD A4 5300 APU
GT 730
650W PSU

Solution
Where your system might play Valorant, it is well below the minimum spec for Genshin Impact, not only from GPU but also CPU perspective.

With that said, neither game is particularly demanding. According to where you are and what the used/refurb market is like it would probably be best to consider something along the lines of the "refurb Optiplex gaming conversion" type upgrade. The system you have now will not be up to the task of gaming and really shouldn't throw money after it.
Even better would be to consider saving up towards something like a Ryzen "G" skew based system which would be a far leap from what you are currently working with.

kanewolf

Titan
I have a Windows 7 32 bit PC, I'm hoping to upgrade from 32 bit to 64 bit. Since, I am also planning to add more RAM as well as be able to play other games. I would also like to know if it's possible for my PC to also upgrade to Windows 10. Though, I heard that there's a chance that the speed of my PC would tremendously drop upon upgrading to Windows 10. My PC is a pretty low end one, So, I think it could be true. If that was true then I'd rather stick with Windows 7 64 bit.

My specs:
AMD A4 5300 APU
GT 730
650W PSU
There is no "upgrade" process. You have to backup your data, then do a clean OS install, application reinstall and data restore.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Where your system might play Valorant, it is well below the minimum spec for Genshin Impact, not only from GPU but also CPU perspective.

With that said, neither game is particularly demanding. According to where you are and what the used/refurb market is like it would probably be best to consider something along the lines of the "refurb Optiplex gaming conversion" type upgrade. The system you have now will not be up to the task of gaming and really shouldn't throw money after it.
Even better would be to consider saving up towards something like a Ryzen "G" skew based system which would be a far leap from what you are currently working with.

Solution
Aug 19, 2021

I would at least like to go from 32 bit and 64 bit. I do not think that it requires any expenses upon upgrading.

It would also be very helpful if you could tell me a good PC build that isn't that expensive.

Last edited:

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
To be fair, I haven't dealt with a 32 bit system in a good while now. I cannot recall if there is anything more to it than downloading the OS installer and performing the clean install.
Windows 7 is out of support and a very quick search across MS site didn't seem to point to an available (official) download of that OS.
I did note when looking up driver support that the CPU supposedly works with W8 and W10. Considering that, for now, you can continue to run W10 without activation it would likely be worth a try to get an 8GB USB, go to Microsoft site and download the official USB installer and give it a go.

A point of consideration: If you don't have your original recovery disks or OS disk available (and license key) this could swerve toward a non-optimal situation. Your key "should" be tied to the hardware and/or your MS account. So far as I know MS hasn't completely killed the W7 to W10 upgrade, but to be fair I never tried it on a 32 bit base license.

If it were me and I was going to "give this a go" without the confidence it was going to work out right, I would remove the OS disk (C drive) as it is and attempt this upgrade on a new and empty storage device. (new/used HDD or SSD)

2nd point of consideration is that this CPU is not strong, never was, and likely not to notice any difference if not even a penalty to performance. There may also be other limitations involved in such as "adding more RAM" from motherboard hardware limitations. You didn't list yours, so be sure to check into that as well.

Aug 19, 2021
To be fair, I haven't dealt with a 32 bit system in a good while now. I cannot recall if there is anything more to it than downloading the OS installer and performing the clean install.
Windows 7 is out of support and a very quick search across MS site didn't seem to point to an available (official) download of that OS.
I did note when looking up driver support that the CPU supposedly works with W8 and W10. Considering that, for now, you can continue to run W10 without activation it would likely be worth a try to get an 8GB USB, go to Microsoft site and download the official USB installer and give it a go.

A point of consideration: If you don't have your original recovery disks or OS disk available (and license key) this could swerve toward a non-optimal situation. Your key "should" be tied to the hardware and/or your MS account. So far as I know MS hasn't completely killed the W7 to W10 upgrade, but to be fair I never tried it on a 32 bit base license.

If it were me and I was going to "give this a go" without the confidence it was going to work out right, I would remove the OS disk (C drive) as it is and attempt this upgrade on a new and empty storage device. (new/used HDD or SSD)

2nd point of consideration is that this CPU is not strong, never was, and likely not to notice any difference if not even a penalty to performance. There may also be other limitations involved in such as "adding more RAM" from motherboard hardware limitations. You didn't list yours, so be sure to check into that as well.

Then, I guess I should only try going from 32 bit to 64 bit. I also checked in my computer properties that my CPU supports 64 bit.

Last edited:

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
Since, I am also planning to add more RAM as well as be able to play other games.

how much ram do you have now?

back in 2010, I used the same Athlon processor that you were using. Had a single 4 GB stick, and the processor was fast enough to let me play some games. Of course, we are now in 2021... not 2010. If you want to have a decent chance of playing Genshin Impact with an A4 5300... I highly suggest getting the ram to 4Gb and above, preferably 8GB. I think you do have a chance of being able to play and enjoy the game.. just set everything to medium or low, and don't use a Display higher than 1280 x 720. If it can't run at that, then try setting the Display at 800 x 600.

Last edited:

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
moving to 64bit OS will require the clean install but your current key should work to activate it. i have done this many times before and been able to use the current key. so it should cost nothing to do other than the time.

as noted MS has hidden the download page for win 7 but the files are actually still there. use this tool to download the win 7 64 bit iso directly from microsoft for your new install. note it also can grab other MS products for you if needed. note these are simply the installer files and do not include any keys or activation or anything like that. they are simply the installer you need to use to create your bootable USB drive.

https://www.heidoc.net/php/Windows-ISO-Downloader.exe

or if you wish here is a direct link to win 7 home premium 64 bit straight from MS servers (assuming you are using home premium!)

https://download.microsoft.com/down...dr_escrow_CLIENT_HOMEPREMIUM_x64FRE_en-us.iso

once you have your iso, then follow this guide to create and install your win 7 64 bit installation.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-clean-install-windows-7-2624917

Rufus is a great tool to create the USB drive you will need as that piece is not in the tutorial. it assumes you already have it made.

also note that you should go to the product page for the pc if it is prebuilt or the pages for the various parts to get the drivers you will need when it is done installing. most important is to make sure you have a driver for your internet connection whether that is the ethernet port or wifi card or whatever. once the internet is running windows update will get most everything else but you need the driver so you can get onto the internet. make sure you are downloading the 64 bit versions since that is what you are going to be installing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tac 25