[SOLVED] Is my PC compatible with RTX GPU

sassmouth

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2010
Hi, sorry if this has already been asked by someone else, but I am wondering if my Dell machine/mobo is compatible with an RTX 3000 series GPU.

Have asked a Dell rep who didn't seem to know, and have asked an Nvidia rep who seemed to think it was compatible, but that the BIOS might not recognize a new card. My PC spec sheet is below. It's a dual-processor machine with 64GB ram, if that is relevant. 1300W PSU. Thanks!

https://i.dell.com/sites/csdocument...nts/en/us/Dell_Precision_T7610_Spec_Sheet.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Yes it should depending on the length of the actual card, might be too long.
Get a tape measure or ruler out and verify the length of the card and room in case before you purchase.

First, check for a BIOS update from Dell.
The list of GPU's listed on that spec sheet are for business or 'pro' cards, this system isn't really meant for gaming.
Maybe a friend or someone has a card you car try and test fit/run and see what happens before buying such an expensive card?

If your 1300-watt PSU has the required power plugs (6+2 pin, 6 pin) or whatever the combination needed then you're fine on that.

TEKN0iD

Prominent
Jun 13, 2020
Get a tape measure or ruler out and verify the length of the card and room in case before you purchase.

The list of GPU's listed on that spec sheet are for business or 'pro' cards, this system isn't really meant for gaming.
Maybe a friend or someone has a card you car try and test fit/run and see what happens before buying such an expensive card?

If your 1300-watt PSU has the required power plugs (6+2 pin, 6 pin) or whatever the combination needed then you're fine on that.

Last edited:
Solution

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I have run into situations where the Dell BIOS was locked to a specific set of cards. It absolutely could be possible that this is locked to the group of cards that it was released with, listed on the second page of the spec sheet under graphics. In my own case I was lucky enough to run across an article by searching the specific model number written on a forum before I was committed to the wrong path. Hopefully, someone, somewhere has tried.

Even if this would fit inside, this isn't necessarily the best path if considering for a gaming application. To be fair, it might be worthwhile to see if Bryan with TechYesCity would reply to you. He has loads of experience with 'value' options utilized for gaming. He is a YouTube personality and also pretty sure he has a storefront as well as inquiry email.

sassmouth

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2010

Thanks for your response! I think it would fit for length. It looks like it would land just above a heat sink on the mobo, but hopefully it would clear that. Will check on the BIOS update. Regarding the power plugs -- the PSU has pairs of 6+2 pins, though in photos the RTX looks like it is 2x 8+2 receivers... so would I need an adpater to go from the 6+2 male to 8+2 female?

Thanks again!

sassmouth

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2010
I have run into situations where the Dell BIOS was locked to a specific set of cards. It absolutely could be possible that this is locked to the group of cards that it was released with, listed on the second page of the spec sheet under graphics. In my own case I was lucky enough to run across an article by searching the specific model number written on a forum before I was committed to the wrong path. Hopefully, someone, somewhere has tried.

Even if this would fit inside, this isn't necessarily the best path if considering for a gaming application. To be fair, it might be worthwhile to see if Bryan with TechYesCity would reply to you. He has loads of experience with 'value' options utilized for gaming. He is a YouTube personality and also pretty sure he has a storefront as well as inquiry email.

Thanks for your response! Will check out Bryan's site. Though this isn't for gaming (I'm a 3D artist thinking of switching to GPU rendering instead of CPU), it's probably not ideal. But if it's doable, would be nice to avoid a new machine. Thanks again!

TRENDING THREADS