Is my PC dead?

spefix

Prominent
Aug 28, 2017
Ok the other day I was just playing on my PC, suddenly a blue screen popped up and it had a the
" :(" face on the left side of the screen and some text. I was about to read the text and then my PC powered off. I turned it back on and it sounded ok but it would not connect to any monitors, I tried many cords and different monitors. I turned off the PC and took out my video card and plugged it back into the slot. The same thing happened"No Signal". Im not sure if my entire PC is done or just a few parts, if anyone knows what parts please tell me if you can. I had two hard drives the ssd is where windows was installed on and the hhd is my drive for files. The link at the bottom is my part list.

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/FJTZM8

Thanks for your time and hope you can help :)

Solution
Can you see the BIOS or is there no signal at all, all the time? Do you have an SSD? There's a bug in windows 10 where the drivers cause issues and there's a hot fix for it.

The error code on that blue screen would have helped figure this out. My first guess would be it's your RAM. There's a bad memory address on it and that's what's causing the issue. If you have two RAM sticks, take one out. If the PC doesn't give any display, try the next slot and so on. Once you have tried all the slots and the PC still doesn't give any display, try the same with the second RAM stick.

If it works with the second RAM stick, the first one is damaged.

Second guess would be the graphics card. What PSU so you have? Is the Graphics card powered on? If...

mbilal2

Reputable
Jun 15, 2017
Can you see the BIOS or is there no signal at all, all the time? Do you have an SSD? There's a bug in windows 10 where the drivers cause issues and there's a hot fix for it.

The error code on that blue screen would have helped figure this out. My first guess would be it's your RAM. There's a bad memory address on it and that's what's causing the issue. If you have two RAM sticks, take one out. If the PC doesn't give any display, try the next slot and so on. Once you have tried all the slots and the PC still doesn't give any display, try the same with the second RAM stick.

If it works with the second RAM stick, the first one is damaged.

Second guess would be the graphics card. What PSU so you have? Is the Graphics card powered on? If you have a second graphics card, swap it in.

Try a CMOS reset. It could be your BIOS/overclocking settings are instable.

Solution

JaymanHD

Honorable
Jun 16, 2015
Do what he says, the ram reseating and then resetting the CMOS setting is a well known fix to these types of problems. Also, if you have integrated graphics with your CPU and motherboard, try connecting your monitor to the port on your motherboard and booting without the graphics card inserted. Could possibly be a dead gpu.