Question Is my PC dead?

GoodOle8Bit

Reputable
Apr 20, 2019
My GPU about an hour ago, made a pop sparked and went up in flames. I turned everything off took it out, it smelled like dirty balls my whole house smelled, but I have the Ryzen 3 2200G so I just booted up and it went to bios, I turned on the IGP through bios. Reset my ram my CPU so everyything is stock speeds and as soon as I save and exit it'll reset like it's starting up. Then it'll flicker on my monitor (HDMI 1) my mouse and keyboard will flicker then no display for my start up just black screen. Itll go to bios perfectly but as soon as I try to go to windows there's no display. Idk if it's my Motherboard, CPU, PSU, or what but it post then it doesn't post to windows. I need help

The GPU is dead if it caught on fire, and I would make sure the PSU is functioning properly and the motherboard isn't physically damaged. RMA the GPU if under warranty. If not, cut your losses and sell it as defective on eBay or send it to an electronics recycling center.
Could be a driver issue with your GPU drivers and the Ryzen APU. What was the old GPU? I would press f8 on boot or wait until you get in a recovery menu. Try to boot into safe mode.
If that fails, reset CMOS. This may be an option in bios labeled "reset bios settings to default" or similar. Save and exit and try to get into safe mode.

GoodOle8Bit

Reputable
Apr 20, 2019
The GPU is dead if it caught on fire, and I would make sure the PSU is functioning properly and the motherboard isn't physically damaged. RMA the GPU if under warranty. If not, cut your losses and sell it as defective on eBay or send it to an electronics recycling center.
Could be a driver issue with your GPU drivers and the Ryzen APU. What was the old GPU? I would press f8 on boot or wait until you get in a recovery menu. Try to boot into safe mode.
If that fails, reset CMOS. This may be an option in bios labeled "reset bios settings to default" or similar. Save and exit and try to get into safe mode.

I've reset my bios entirely, I turned on my Integrated graphics on my MB, bios will work fine temps my drives show they're still working my HDD was spinning, and when I exit my bios to enter windows it won't post to windows.

GoodOle8Bit

Reputable
Apr 20, 2019
Does the screen go black or does it display a recovery menu? Make sure your windows hard drive is set as the primary boot drive in bios since you reset settings.
What are your full system specs?
When it gets out of bios it'll show the logo show the little dot spinning circle then my HDMI pop up will come up my mouse and keyboard flicker on and off then the screen will stay black but all my fans and <mod edit> are on.
MSI b450m bazooka
Ryzen 3 2200G
16gb 3kmhz Corsair lpx
Coolermaster MWE 600w Bronze rated
128gb silicone power ssd
1tb wd green hdd.

Last edited by a moderator:
See if you turn on your pc, hard power it off with press+holding power button, and repeat this a few times. you may get a recovery screen.
"If Windows 10 fails to boot normally three times over, the fourth time it enters by default in an Automatic Repair mode. Using this mode, you can boot into Safe Mode. To trigger the Automatic Repair mode, you must interrupt the normal boot process three consecutive times: use the Reset or the Power button on your Windows 10 PC to stop it during boot, before it finishes loading Windows 10. If you use the Power button, you might have to keep it pressed for at least 4 seconds to force the power off. When Windows 10 enters the Automatic Repair mode, the first thing you see is a screen that tells you that the operating system is "Preparing Automatic Repair.""

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
That's what you have to first look for... what burnt. See where the burnt spot is. On the board? Near the CPU socket? Take the PSU out and smell it. But there's a good chance your board is toast.
What makes it worse, is that comopents are so electrically inter-connected in a PC, that one component dying a catastrophic death can easily take out other components.

Reactions: bencos2018

GoodOle8Bit

Reputable
Apr 20, 2019
See if you turn on your pc, hard power it off with press+holding power button, and repeat this a few times. you may get a recovery screen.
"If Windows 10 fails to boot normally three times over, the fourth time it enters by default in an Automatic Repair mode. Using this mode, you can boot into Safe Mode. To trigger the Automatic Repair mode, you must interrupt the normal boot process three consecutive times: use the Reset or the Power button on your Windows 10 PC to stop it during boot, before it finishes loading Windows 10. If you use the Power button, you might have to keep it pressed for at least 4 seconds to force the power off. When Windows 10 enters the Automatic Repair mode, the first thing you see is a screen that tells you that the operating system is "Preparing Automatic Repair.""
I did that this morning it booted to Windows safe mode but when I reset to regularly runs windows it continued to just sit at a black screen.

GoodOle8Bit

Reputable
Apr 20, 2019
That's what you have to first look for... what burnt. See where the burnt spot is. On the board? Near the CPU socket? Take the PSU out and smell it. But there's a good chance your board is toast.
What makes it worse, is that comopents are so electrically inter-connected in a PC, that one component dying a catastrophic death can easily take out other components.

I don't know what's broken what's not, my graphics card literally caught on fire inside my computer, but only for a solid half a second before I shut it off so there's no way of telling if something is burnt and I'm not going to open up my GPU due to it catching on fire out of no where. But I reset my cmos I've reset virtually everything I could through my bios and I've run windows safe mode fine but I restarted to run my PC as normal and it continues to just sit at a black screen with all my components working my Pump has the LED lit up, all 4 of my fans are spinning my CPU is at 24°C I'm just not getting any display no matter what I choose in my bios. I have 0 idea how to check what component it is so I'm going to just RMA everything and hope a miracle happens

GoodOle8Bit

Reputable
Apr 20, 2019
Yikes! I think you better plan for the worst, and hope for the best. un-build the PC and find some way to test each component individually. But it sounds like the gfx card is history. See if removing it and using the iGPU does anything.
Had to completely wipe all my drivers then reinstall I'm thankful that somehow only my graphics card went bad cause that could've gotten alot worse. But me being me I ended up buying a new MB thinking current one was broken so now I got 2 perfectly working MBs😂 but <mod edit> part is now I have to wait for the XFX support team to RMA it and hopefully I can just get a refund cause I plan on getting the 1660ti but now it's just months of waiting cause of Support 😂

Last edited by a moderator: