Is my PC F***ked?

AMDGuru2011

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011
I have a issue here what i have no idea about.

Where do i start hummm...... Right after a fresh install of XP/Win7 (makes no difference) I'm getting all sorts of errors.

I get random 'Dont Send' issues like Win 32 service has stopped working bla bla bla or Explorer has stopped working ect....

I get random BSOD's with diffrent errors all the time

And firefox keeps crashing as in just dissapears then don't send.

Specs:
AMD Athlon 64 3500+ 2.2GHz
2GB DDR2 800 Ram
Nvidia 7800gtx
160GB HD IDE
Msi K9N6PGM2V2- (2.2 FOR EUP)
Windows Xp pro sp3 ATM

I have a suspicion thats its something to do with my audio because i have 2 different speakers on atm with the green and blue ports set up so i can use both (subwoffer and speakers)

And thoughts on the problem?

Thanks

check your BIOS allows you to set USB as a boot device . If it does then
Download a live linux distro , install on a usb stick and boot from that .

Most likely the problem is with your hard drive or the IDE cable . If you have another IDE cable definitely try that even if the one in your computer looks OK

Also worth checking your RAM timing and voltage .

AMDGuru2011

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011
Ok so i changed my IDE lead to a new on, as soon as i start firefox error don't send, don't think its solved it

Ram timing and voltage i have no idea about so its all set to default but i forgot to say my cpu is oc'd to 2.6GHz 240x11 could that cause it?

Zephids

Honorable
Apr 20, 2012
The last time I had crazy random *** happening like this, it was due to my ram. Try booting using only 1 stick, try them separately. Make sure it's in slot 1.

hwangchan

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2012
90% of BSOD in win 7 is RAM related, as most other problems would do a soft driver reset. A vast majority of Win XP BSOD is also ram related.

As software uses RAM, and your software is crashing, its likely some bad sectors of RAM, try running a MEMTEST.

Its probably not your OC'd processor, but it is a possibility. OC CPU normally creates overheating issues, and your PC would randomly reset. But it can cause unstable software issues, so for troubleshooting i recommend to try putting it at normal clock speeds.

Zephids

Honorable
Apr 20, 2012
If he did a CMOS Reset/Bios Reset then his CPU will be running at default clock speeds thereby excluding it from analysis. I agree with hwangchan, Trying using another stick of ram or at least do a memtest on it.

AMDGuru2011

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011
I brought the ram yesterday from a pc shop witch didnt not sell it (part of a 4gb pair) and they test all there parts excessively! i dont think its that...is there a memtest i can do i windows i do not have and spare disks for usb/floppy

hwangchan

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2012
memtest.org for the memory test.

As for the RAM, if I understand it right, you bought it used from the PC shop that tests every part they buy? I imagine they test a sample of each brand, but every part? really?

Also, was it in an antistatic bag? Its even possible you had a static discharge during installation, or without the antistatic bag, it built a charge while in your car. I am saying there is plenty of chance it was damaged between there and your PC.

If you bought it yesterday, tell them your having issues and they should exchange it for free, or they might help you troubleshoot it so they dont have to take it back. ;)

AMDGuru2011

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011
Ok i have read in the internet somtimes if you up the volts on the ram it fixes it, well i did mine from 1.7 to 2.0 (2.1 MAX) is that too high? i have no idea about volts or timings all i no what to do with oc'ing is the FSB and GPU clock lol im a novice to voltages, anyway since then i have had no errors and wimap doesnt seem to crash so hopefully its fixed but time will tell! im goin to run the memtest now wish me luck!