notanexpert2

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2011
When I start my desktop PC it begins POST and I get the message "overclocking failed go to bios to reset". (I have not and know not how to overclock) I get into the bios but before I can find anywhere to reset the machine crashes and starts to make a repeated clonking sound. If I press the off switch and it shuts down it starts up on its own after a short while. The only way I can turn it off is by way of the switch at the back. My system was buit by a pal some 3 years ago and has performed very well till now. It consists Asus P5P800-VM motherboard, Pentium D cpu, 2 x pata hard drives (older). TV card, Firewire card AGP graphics card. Any help will be appreciated but if its terminal I'll start again. Thanks all.

notanexpert2

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2011
I've now replaced the CMOS battery and reset the RTC by swapping the jumper pins and then back again I switched the machine on and just about got into the BIOS to set the time and date when it crashed again with the same repetitave clonking. This is the same as before, thanks for trying but do you have any other suggestion please? Thanks