Is my PC good for future proof?

Sky_Powder

Prominent
May 8, 2017
Hey, so I'm thinking about buying a new pc, and I want my focus for my PC to be about future proof. Of course I'm going to upgrade when I need to, but for the next 2-3 years I want it to be good for the latest games, the PC I plan to build is
Cpu- ryzen 5 1600x
Gpu- gtx 1060 6gb evga oc
Ram- 16gb ddr4 2400
(May change CPU to i5 8600k if it's better, but it hasn't released yet)
I would just like to know how good it is, because i recently checked the destiny 2 requirements and other triple a game requirements and they're getting more demanding.

Solution
Still running a i7-3770k and gtx970. For 1080p that's enough for ultra in almost every game made and still see 60+ fps. Only time it might have issues is when trying for 4k DSR, as that'll take a hit on performance with the conversions needed. 1080p isn't going anywhere for quite some time and there's only so much a game can do with that resolution, so the 1060 will be good for many years yet.

The Ryzen cpus have equitable IPC to Haswells, the R5 1600 falling in about the same IPC as a i5 4690, so @10-15% behind kabylake cpus. This still gives Intel a slight edge in IPC, but with games using multiple core coding, 6 full cores and 6 HT cores gets better pass through than 4/8 of the i7's, so makes up for the lack a little bit. But on a...

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
Yeah a 6C CPU is where I would start for a gaming rig in this day and age (whether AMD or Intel). Your GPU and ram look good as well though I might try to get faster ram (say 3000mhz-3200mhz) as faster ram scales well with ryzen and Intel as well. While we don't have any tests with coffee lake as it is not out yet. My understanding it is is basically kabylake IPC plus 2 cores and kabylake also scales well with ram speed in games.

Sky_Powder

Prominent
May 8, 2017

By the time the future comes I'll have money to build another PC, which I'll do in like 2 years from now, but for now I think a 1060 is gonna be good since in 2 years Nvidia will have released gpu's with 3x the performance of the 1080ti at a low cost, so I'm wondering if this system will be good for just the next 2 years or so

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Still running a i7-3770k and gtx970. For 1080p that's enough for ultra in almost every game made and still see 60+ fps. Only time it might have issues is when trying for 4k DSR, as that'll take a hit on performance with the conversions needed. 1080p isn't going anywhere for quite some time and there's only so much a game can do with that resolution, so the 1060 will be good for many years yet.

The Ryzen cpus have equitable IPC to Haswells, the R5 1600 falling in about the same IPC as a i5 4690, so @10-15% behind kabylake cpus. This still gives Intel a slight edge in IPC, but with games using multiple core coding, 6 full cores and 6 HT cores gets better pass through than 4/8 of the i7's, so makes up for the lack a little bit. But on a 60/75Hz monitor, 150fps or 170fps really doesn't make a hill of beans difference.

Intel cpu's don't make very good use of ram speeds, and haven't for years. There's almost no discernable difference between 2133 and 3200 as it all gets shot down by the MC stuck at 2133/2400. AMD however, uses 'Infinity Fabric' that scales very well with higher ram speeds, enough that if 2133 gets you Haswell IPC, 3200 surpasses kabylake IPC. Right now, in normal pc enthusiast class consumer pc's, the only intel cpu that holds its own or beats the Ryzens under OC regularly is the i7-7700k. The only way to top that is a move to the better X99 or X299 cpus.

For what it can do, for all intents and purposes the R5 1600 is unmatched by anything Intel has to offer in anything close to its price range.

Solution

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
^ in most use scenerios you are right on the ram but in gaming recently this is less true. Games do actually scale with faster ram. The biggest jump is drr4 2400 to 2666 followed by 3200mhz.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjFu-onLA68
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_Yt4vSZKVk Points out only gaming is a decent benefactor, generally not worth it though for faster ram. But this was for a gaming build so take it as you will.
http://techreport.com/review/31179/intel-core-i7-7700k-kaby-lake-cpu-reviewed/11