Question Is my PC grounded??

stark08

Prominent
Mar 4, 2019
41
2
545
2
When I touch my cpu case I don't feel electric shock but the back metal panel has electric current when I test for current using a electricity tester. Like this one

Is my PC grounded/earthed or not???
 

stark08

Prominent
Mar 4, 2019
41
2
545
2
I am not sure what do you mean by power source. My pc take power from the wall outlet as any other electronic device. And have a 220V PSU.
 

MJS WARLORD

Reputable
Jul 3, 2016
494
43
4,890
28
if you pc is not properly grounded you would get a shock of the case and you said you did not get one , if you ever get one it will because when you touch it your body is taking the electricity to earth. I was an electrical inspector/tester for a vending machine company for many years , The user countmike is correct in what he said , on some circuit boards it is even possible to see the led on that type of tester illuminate before you actually touch a componant.

Its a bit like how a magician makes a florescent light bulb blow without it being fitted to anything but for safety reasons you dont need to know how thats done.
 

stark08

Prominent
Mar 4, 2019
41
2
545
2
if you pc is not properly grounded you would get a shock of the case and you said you did not get one , if you ever get one it will because when you touch it your body is taking the electricity to earth.
First of all thanks for reply.
I said that I don't get shock when I touch the plastic part of the case but when I touch the metallic part I do get current. So according to you my pc is not grounded.

Now, my house don't have any proper earthing and I can't do much about it because I live in a rented house. I have read some articles online and find this way of grounding my PC. Take an insulated copper wire, attach one of its end to the ground prong of the pc and other end to the nail which is fitted inside the wall. I have done the same and so it must be grounded. But according to @MJS WARLORD it's not. So what's the problem??
 

MJS WARLORD

Reputable
Jul 3, 2016
494
43
4,890
28
Hi Stark i did not say your pc is NOT grounded i just gave a reason why you MIGHT get a shock , in your initial posting you should have mentioned the grounding article you read as somebody might have given you different advice.

When posting a question you need to give as much information as possible and not add bits later.

The reason i say this is because i was recently given a so called " mild azz kicking " by a moderator for giving incorrect advice despite the fact that i high lighted the posters question and my answer.

How did you find out your home is not properly earthed , have you had problems with other appliances
 

stark08

Prominent
Mar 4, 2019
41
2
545
2
@MJS WARLORD Sorry for not providing full info about my problem. I thought I only wanted to know if my experiment of grounding my pc was successful or not. So I thought it's not necessary to tell about article. And I am really new to such online communities although I have joined it almost a year ago. Whatsoever, I will keep in mind this thing next time and once again I apologise.

About your second question that how I know my house don't have proper earthing. To be honest I really don't know exactly but the community in which I am living, not much of the people bother about such things. I never faced any problems with other appliances even in my previous house although I am pretty sure that house don't have the earthing anyway because my pc was really badly beign damaged there literally hundred times and the mechanic always says it's because of earthing problem. But I haven't faced any issue in this house regarding my pc so it may have earthing. I just wanted to confirm that.
 
Oct 25, 2020
1
0
10
0
Those cheap Neon Testers work by you becoming part of the electrical circuit for the neon to illuminate. They do not just start glowing by passing the tester close to a Voltage or Electrical Component. That's a whole different kind of Tester.

 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS