Question Is my PC holding my RTX 3090 Suprim X back?

Jul 8, 2022
So I've recently gotten a RTX 3090 Suprim X and I'm not getting the results that I was expecting.

I'm playing games at 1440p on a 144hz monitor and I'm finding that my GPU isn't being utilised 100% and is causing choppy gameplay and stuttering.

My system specs are as follows:

I9 9900K OC to 5Ghz
RTX 3090 Suprim X
ASUS MAXIMUS VI Motherboard
16GB Corshair Vengeance RGB PRO
850W PSU

I've been told that my CPU/RAM are holding back my GPU especially with my motherboard being PCIE 3 and not PCIE 4 which the RTX 3090 greatly benefits from.

I'm looking at upgrading my CPU, motherboard and RAM to either an I9 12900K or a Ryzen 9 5950x along with at least 32GB of high speed RAM. Would this be a smart move to help my GPU?

As a simple test to see if your CPU is really holding the GPU back, reduce the graphical quality to low and see if performance and stability significantly improves. If it's about the same as before, then yes, a CPU upgrade would probably help.

As for the PCIe version being a problem, I don't see it being such considering an RTX 3080 barely loses performance on PCIe 3.0: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-pci-express-scaling/27.html

Jul 8, 2022
When I drop my graphics to low I'm still getting around the same fps and stuttering. In games like Fortnite and Warzone my GPU usage is bouncing around from 40-60% and I'm finding that it slows down my PC when I'm loading into games for example if I've got a YouTube video on my second monitor playing then loading into a game or launching fortnite will cause it to slow down to a crawl for around 3-4 seconds before returning to normal.

When I drop my graphics to low I'm still getting around the same fps and stuttering. In games like Fortnite and Warzone my GPU usage is bouncing around from 40-60% and I'm finding that it slows down my PC when I'm loading into games for example if I've got a YouTube video on my second monitor playing then loading into a game or launching fortnite will cause it to slow down to a crawl for around 3-4 seconds before returning to normal.
What storage drives do you have in your system?

So part of me isn't entirely convinced that the CPU is holding the video card back, but digging down further in my mind would require:
  • Easing off on the overclock (overclocking can cause problems later down the road)
  • Reinstalling Windows so a clean slate is being worked with
But on the other hand, if you were having that itch to build/upgrade anyway, I don't see a problem in getting say a 12th gen platform. There is the lingering "what-if" with AMD's Ryzen 7000 processors or if you really want to wait, Intel's Raptor Lake. In which case, if you can wait, then wait and see.

Jul 8, 2022
So part of me isn't entirely convinced that the CPU is holding the video card back, but digging down further in my mind would require:
  • Easing off on the overclock (overclocking can cause problems later down the road)
  • Reinstalling Windows so a clean slate is being worked with
But on the other hand, if you were having that itch to build/upgrade anyway, I don't see a problem in getting say a 12th gen platform. There is the lingering "what-if" with AMD's Ryzen 7000 processors or if you really want to wait, Intel's Raptor Lake. In which case, if you can wait, then wait and see.

The only overclocks I've got on my system is my i9 9900k running at 5.0Ghz and my XMP enabled for my RAM

Jul 8, 2022
Games like modern warfare 2019 I'm not being bottlenecked at all but in games like Fortnite the GPU isn't being fully utilised and is running between 40-60% and causing stuttering. I'm thinking of upgrading my RAM to This as I've been told my system would benefit from the higher RAM speed. I was thinking of getting 2 sets of 16gb to have a total of 32gb. My current RAM is This

So I've recently gotten a RTX 3090 Suprim X and I'm not getting the results that I was expecting.

I'm playing games at 1440p on a 144hz monitor and I'm finding that my GPU isn't being utilised 100% and is causing choppy gameplay and stuttering.

My system specs are as follows:

I9 9900K OC to 5Ghz
RTX 3090 Suprim X
ASUS MAXIMUS VI Motherboard
16GB Corshair Vengeance RGB PRO
850W PSU

I've been told that my CPU/RAM are holding back my GPU especially with my motherboard being PCIE 3 and not PCIE 4 which the RTX 3090 greatly benefits from.

I'm looking at upgrading my CPU, motherboard and RAM to either an I9 12900K or a Ryzen 9 5950x along with at least 32GB of high speed RAM. Would this be a smart move to help my GPU?
How busy is the cpu when your playing games?

What is the ram usage when playing games?

Jul 8, 2022
How busy is the cpu when your playing games?

What is the ram usage when playing games?

Just tried playing with performance mode on fortnite with all the graphic settings set to low on 1440p and 1080p to see if it made a difference and it's still the same. In this video on YouTube they're using a 3090 GPU and are getting almost 700fps and I'm barely able to get around 450+ on everything low + performance mode. I get that they're using a bit more modern CPU's but it really shouldn't be to this extreme of a difference right? Fortnite Image for reference COD image for reference

Even games like modern warfare 2019 the difference between maxed out graphics and all low graphics provide no real increase in fps at 1080p and 1440p COD image for reference

Just tried playing with performance mode on fortnite with all the graphic settings set to low on 1440p and 1080p to see if it made a difference and it's still the same. In this video on YouTube they're using a 3090 GPU and are getting almost 700fps and I'm barely able to get around 450+ on everything low + performance mode. I get that they're using a bit more modern CPU's but it really shouldn't be to this extreme of a difference right? Fortnite Image for reference COD image for reference

Even games like modern warfare 2019 the difference between maxed out graphics and all low graphics provide no real increase in fps at 1080p and 1440p COD image for reference
It's tough to compare different machines.
Just to see if something shows.

Download this.
UBM

Reboot.
Wait a few mins.
Run UBM with the browser closed.
Post a LINK to the results page.

Jul 8, 2022
No idea why it does not see the gpu perhaps redownload UBM and test.

Do you have bios version 2004?
Latest chipset driver?

What's with all the background stuff?
Did you wait a few mins after the reboot before running UBM?
Browser closed?

I've got the latest bios and chipset version. I'm unsure what you mean by "background stuff".
I waited about 5 minutes after rebooting my system to run the test and my browser was closed

Jul 8, 2022
UBM is showing you have 19% background stuff running.
That's a lot for a fresh boot and no browser.

Perhaps it's time to skinny down your start up group.

What's the best way I can go about getting rid of background stuff? I've limited by startup applications to only the ones that are necessary but I'm still seeing around 25% RAM usage with nothing else visibly open

What's the best way I can go about getting rid of background stuff? I've limited by startup applications to only the ones that are necessary but I'm still seeing around 25% RAM usage with nothing else visibly open
Stuff starts from a variety of places so you get to chase it around.
See if something here helps.

https://www.google.com/search?q=how...CSAQCYAQDIAQ3AAQHaAQYIARABGAk&sclient=gws-wiz

Sometimes it's just a matter of getting hard nosed about want/need.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
10% or lower background is fine. It's impossible to get 0%.

It keep saying that I'm missing a GPU even after I've ran through the test twice now
Here's the link
The application writes off a run as Incomplete(look next to where it says missing gpu) if even one part does not complete its portion of the test. The gpu crashed during it's part.
Something's up with this gpu, mate. You need to give more info on it.

How hot does it get in game?
Gpu core
Gpu hot spot
Memory junction
Use HWINFO or Gpu-Z sensors tab.

Does the core clock boost properly, or is it stuck at a frequency below the base clock?

No one can look this up. Narrow it down please, so we can.