Question Is my PC infected by virus?

brannsiu

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2013
I didn't create these files and folders but it just appears on my desktop today.

These files and folders cannot be opened, only deleted, but once they are deleted, they will come back immediately

Screenshot is below:

The non-english characters appear to be chinese. Is that your native language setting / have any chinese software installed?

As COLGeek indicates above, running Malware bytes may be helpful,

A good antivirus is helpful, but installed prior to a possible infection is more helpful.

Microsoft Sysinternals AutoRuns can help you check some of the startup entries /autorun entries that MSConfig does not typically show.

Are the icons actual folders on the desktop, or are they shortcuts? Where do these point to if you query the properties?

Reactions: brannsiu

brannsiu

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2013
The non-english characters appear to be chinese. Is that your native language setting / have any chinese software installed?

As COLGeek indicates above, running Malware bytes may be helpful,

A good antivirus is helpful, but installed prior to a possible infection is more helpful.

Microsoft Sysinternals AutoRuns can help you check some of the startup entries /autorun entries that MSConfig does not typically show.

Are the icons actual folders on the desktop, or are they shortcuts? Where do these point to if you query the properties?

I wasn't installing any Chinese software....

I am not sure if they are actual folders or shortcuts but as I said, they are so wired, when I tried to delete them, they just appear again in no time, none of them can be opened or redirected to any actual folders.... they just appear on the desktop...

when I restart the PC, they're all gone, but I still wish to know if it's infected

When mystery files appear: A quick and dirty trick I like to use is performance monitor (Available from task manager)

I go to the disk page, and look for reads/writes to folders & files and see what process it's attached to. (Right click "Go to process" ) I then examine the file in question with google searches and anti viruses.

Next comes Malwarebytes.

Unfortunately it could be hiding behind a rundll32, or root kit. So then you need to haul out the serious guns if both come up clean.

I would start by cleaning with mwb as suggested above. I believe that Windows defender has a boot time scan that can intercept the boot sequence of the PC and scan. So I'd probably hit it with that after. Maybe another program to double check like spybot would be a good idea as well.