Question Is my PC "killing" my External Hard drive

Jan 26, 2020
So i had the "parameter is incorrect" issue with my external hard drive ( cant access the drive, RAW files etc,) I tried all the usual fixes like chkdsk, disk management etc, but none worked.

Ok i thought no big deal - hard drives die - thats why i keep a backup - so i bought a new external disk and made a another backup....problem solved....or so i thought.

anyway when i tried to shutdown the pc at night it wouldn't do anything until i unplugged my external disk drives - strange i thought - and went to bed.

Now today my old backup drive is innaccessable - same <Mod Edit> "parameter is incorrect" i checked my new hard drive in thankfully its still accessable but im freaking out now as its the only copy of my data

Could my pc be "killing" these hard drives?? also when i plug the the drive into the usb port the screen goes black for a few seconds

It just seems very odd that this would happen to 2 external drives in such a shoert space of time

Any help would be much appreciated...

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 26, 2020
did you wait for the hdd to finish before unpluging it at night?

Hey!

No I was trying to figure out why the pc was doing nothing everytime i clicked "SHUT DOWN" I Pulled out HD usb and BOOM. It Immediately started shutting down.

as far as i know the HD drive shouldn't have been doing anything it had been unused since i copied the contents of it on to my NEW HD drive hours before i tried to shut down.

The drive itself was about 5 years old so it just could have just"been its time" buts its a bit of a co-incidence it died in the exact same fashion as my other HD.
Cheers.