[SOLVED] is my PC ready for overclocking?

FelixAFF

Reputable
May 15, 2019
ASROCK B450M Steel Legend
RTX 2060 MSI Gaming Z 6GB
AMD Ryzen 5 2600X
16GB DDR4 RAM 3200MHz 2x8
500W 80+ PSU
SSD 240GB
1TB SSD
1TB HDD

When i try to OC using MSI Afterbuner my PC couldnt even reach to 100MHz. The same happens when i had a GTX 1660Ti.
Is it because of my PSU ?

FelixAFF

Reputable
May 15, 2019
I do suspect that your PSU is contributing to the problem. That is a make/model of dubious quality.

Are you also using the stock AMD heatsink to cool your CPU? What about the previous question about motherboard profiles?
Yes im using AAMD stock but i heard it can do mild oc.
what do you mean motherboard profile? all i know is im using XMP 2.0

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Many motherboards have different performance profiles that can be used to optimize system performance. If enabled, the system can attempt to automatically overclock itself and that could be working against you when you are trying to OC even more.

I do not recommend using the stock AMD cooler for OCing. Technically, it may suffice for a small OC boost, but it is going to be quite loud as the fan will spin at very high speeds. I would suggest replacing with an aftermarket cooler if OCing is a major objective for you.

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
MSI Afterburner is used to OC your video card (GPU).
You GPU will auto OC pretty well on it's own so I would not bother manually OCing it.
And just for reference my MSI GTX 1660 Ti Armor OC only manually OC's to +125 MHz on the GPU before it becomes unstable.

And it seems you don't understand the difference between OCing your CPU and OCing your GPU.
So you probably should leave everything at stock settings because you will most likely just cause more problems/system instability.

Last edited:

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Yeah, I wouldn't even touch the overclock settings with the current PSU in there; that's frighteningly low quality for a system with these parts. Honestly, I wouldn't be firing up the PC at all until I had something safe and competent protecting it.

Last edited:
Reactions: DMAN999