[SOLVED] Is my pc still good

Sep 27, 2021
Hey guys, I am wondering if you guys think my PC is still good for games even today. What do you guys think?

Here are specs

CPU-intel core i7-950 Processor
Motherboard -RAMPAGE III EXTREME ASUS
Psu- thermaltake Toughpower 1000W
Graphics card - 2x (Crossfire) PowerColor HD 5970 2GB GDDr5
Hard drive - crucial mx100 256 gb solid state drive
1 terrobyte sata swapable sata drive
Ram-zeppelin 6gb 1800mhz ddr3

10953152_10206142286057350_3766619317997334238_o.jpg

So what do you guys think of my system? Is it worth upgrading to a newer cpu

Solution
"Good" is in the eyes of the beholder. You'd need to be more specific.

I'm sure it was a solid performer at the time, but this would have serious problems with modern AAA titles. Crossfire/SLI support is essentially gone, so two HD 5970s are basically only slightly better than one, meaning it's basically comparable to entry-level GPUs today.

Similarly, the CPU's well behind in single-core performance, so it's basically an entry-level productivity CPU in 2021. In gaming, it may struggle even against recent Pentiums.

Upgrades? It's hard to say. These are 12-year-old parts and a gradual upgrade stopped making sense somewhere around 2013 or 2014 at the latest. There's not much bang for the buck to do with this. If it still meets your...

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
"Good" is in the eyes of the beholder. You'd need to be more specific.

I'm sure it was a solid performer at the time, but this would have serious problems with modern AAA titles. Crossfire/SLI support is essentially gone, so two HD 5970s are basically only slightly better than one, meaning it's basically comparable to entry-level GPUs today.

Similarly, the CPU's well behind in single-core performance, so it's basically an entry-level productivity CPU in 2021. In gaming, it may struggle even against recent Pentiums.

Upgrades? It's hard to say. These are 12-year-old parts and a gradual upgrade stopped making sense somewhere around 2013 or 2014 at the latest. There's not much bang for the buck to do with this. If it still meets your needs, I wouldn't worry about it.

Reactions: ybounou
Solution