Question Is my PC worth upgrading?

egoroboto

Prominent
Nov 6, 2017
Hi there! I'm tryinf to upgrade my old desktop computer. But I'm not sure if it is worth it. I bought it back in 2011, and the plan was to upgrade it step by step, but then I moved out and I got an only-useful-for-work notebook and my desktop stayed the same for ever. These are the specs:

GA-880GM-USB3 https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-880GM-USB3-rev-31#ov
AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 640 Processor
2x2gb DDR3 1333 mhz RAM
Radeon HD 6850
Western Digital WD Green WD10EARS 1TB 5400 RPM

I don't intend to build a high-end gaming rig, but I would like to play some titles. I used to play Skyrim on this computer with a decent quality.

Anything from 2011 isn't going to benefit much from todays hardware being added to it.

Start with a new case and motherboard and work your way up from there.....which means you'll be replacing everything over time.

The nice thing is that you can use that old desktop the entire time you are building a new rig.

Hi there! I'm tryinf to upgrade my old desktop computer. But I'm not sure if it is worth it. I bought it back in 2011, and the plan was to upgrade it step by step, but then I moved out and I got an only-useful-for-work notebook and my desktop stayed the same for ever. These are the specs:

GA-880GM-USB3 https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-880GM-USB3-rev-31#ov
AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 640 Processor
2x2gb DDR3 1333 mhz RAM
Radeon HD 6850
Western Digital WD Green WD10EARS 1TB 5400 RPM

I don't intend to build a high-end gaming rig, but I would like to play some titles. I used to play Skyrim on this computer with a decent quality.

What are "some titles" exactly? Without knowing what games you want to run on it no way to know what you should get.
Also need to know what your budget is. Some people talk about "upgrading" a system then toss out a budget that is enough for a full new one.

With your current specs, you can build a faster system for about $500, especially if you re-use your case.

egoroboto

Prominent
Nov 6, 2017
What are "some titles" exactly? Without knowing what games you want to run on it no way to know what you should get.
Also need to know what your budget is. Some people talk about "upgrading" a system then toss out a budget that is enough for a full new one.

With your current specs, you can build a faster system for about $500, especially if you re-use your case.

I don't know, man. Between work and college I haven't really played anything for years. I'm literally catching up back from Skyrim and Dragon Age Origins. As for money I was thinking around 200 bucks.