[SOLVED] Is my power supply dead?

MENTAL BAHAMUT

Reputable
Jan 13, 2015
Hi, My step daughter got a pc from her friend and i bought her some parts to finish it off.
The parts she got off her friend
RM650w
Gtx 970
8gb ddr4 ram
i bought her
ryzen 3600
asus a320m-k
generic case
plugged it all in, mobo lights appeared. tried to turn on, heard a click of some sort (only a faint noise) no fans nothing happened.
alright, took the power switch header cables out, tried to jump it with a flat head, nothing.
hmm.
ripped out all the cords of the psu replaced them with new spares i've got from a hx850i (except for the 24 pin, didn't have a spare. unfortunately)
no difference.
unplugged gpu, ram, ssd etc just the cpu in it now, just trying to get the fans to spin or something.
nothing.

decide ok, i'll plug her board into my psu see what happens. Just barebone cpu and mobo, fans come on it fires up.
i didn't connect anything else.
didn't check for a screen. figured i could update the bios for zen 2 when it came to that on her pc.

Now i'm unsure what else to test here. Is her psu cactus or?

Solution
A320 motherboards require a BIOS update to boot with Ryzen 3000 CPUs. This means you will need an older AM4 CPU to boot into the BIOS's updater, then flash the newest version, then put the Ryzen 3600 in and use it. However, it might already have the newest BIOS version. You should try it again with your CPU, this time plugged into a display and all components needed, to see whether it boots.
If it doesn't boot properly, then do you have a, or know someone who has, an older CPU, such as an older Ryzen, that can be used to update the BIOS? If not, the best choice would be to contact where you bought it from and see if they can a) facilitate the update using their own CPUs, or b) return it with all original packaging for a refund.
A320 motherboards require a BIOS update to boot with Ryzen 3000 CPUs. This means you will need an older AM4 CPU to boot into the BIOS's updater, then flash the newest version, then put the Ryzen 3600 in and use it. However, it might already have the newest BIOS version. You should try it again with your CPU, this time plugged into a display and all components needed, to see whether it boots.
If it doesn't boot properly, then do you have a, or know someone who has, an older CPU, such as an older Ryzen, that can be used to update the BIOS? If not, the best choice would be to contact where you bought it from and see if they can a) facilitate the update using their own CPUs, or b) return it with all original packaging for a refund.

Solution

MENTAL BAHAMUT

Reputable
Jan 13, 2015
I think you misunderstand my friend. I understand that it needs a flash. but first i need to get to bios.

I think you misunderstand my friend. I understand that it needs a flash. but first i need to get to bios.
You need an older AM4 CPU in order to do this. However, many sellers have started to supply their boards with the newest update. You should first try it with your PSU (the one that spun the fans) to make sure you won't be wasting money on getting an old CPU, as if the PSU is bad, a BIOS update won't fix it.

Reactions: MENTAL BAHAMUT

MENTAL BAHAMUT

Reputable
Jan 13, 2015
You need an older AM4 CPU in order to do this. However, many sellers have started to supply their boards with the newest update. You should first try it with your PSU (the one that spun the fans) to make sure you won't be wasting money on getting an old CPU, as if the PSU is bad, a BIOS update won't fix it.
Ended up getting a new psu, and got a friend with an older chip to update the bios, all is running well now.

Reactions: ConanLock