iceflowers

Prominent
May 9, 2018
Please bear with me, as I am not familiar with this Forum's etiquette when it comes to creating new threads, and what information should be included within them by default, but I will do my best to be as coherent as possible and include as many helpful details as I can, off the top of my head. With the ramble out of the way, lets get to the point.

My computer has been crashing and automatically restarting for a long time, now. It used to only happen once a month, but lately it has become an unavoidable everyday occurrence, becoming more and more of a frequent issue with the passing of time.
There is never any kind of System Hang, Error message, or anything like that. It just snaps off, then restarts, as if I'd lost power to the home, which is what brings my suspicion to the PSU in particular.

Within the past few months, the longest it has gone without suffering a crash is six-days, at the most.

Lately, it has been happening on an almost daily-basis, with a crash occurring within roughly a 24-Hour time period, almost without fail.

There have been rare instances where it crashes more than once in a day, but this almost never happens. Such events have only occurred no more than once, or twice, during this PSU's lifetime.

While it usually crashes during gameplay, I have come home from errands to find that it has crashed while idle.

At first I thought that it could be a heat issue with my GPU, but after tweaking the fan speeds in MSI Afterburner, it rarely gets hotter than 75c, before these adjustments it would typically be around 80, or 81c, however, from what I've read, this is not unusual. If something else is getting too hot, I have not been able to figure out what it might be. My CPU seems to maintain a healthy temperature of around 50c, maybe a little higher under load, but never going anywhere scary.

The other possibility could be faulty memory. I've since replaced the Memory with fresh sticks of RAM. The issue continues to persist.

One of the final causes I read about regarding this problem suggested that an outdated driver could be the culprit. Many of the drivers inside my system were not up to date. However, updating them accomplished nothing.

I have tried just about every conventional "fix" that one can find through a cursory research into this issue, except for wiping the HDD and starting over. I'd rather not bother with that process if it won't change anything. There is a new PSU being mailed to me by my manufacturer. It should arrive tomorrow. If the problem goes away after installing it, then, hooray.
If not, resetting Windows seems to be my last hope.
Regardless, I figured I should ask some people about this who know much more about this sort of thing, than I do. With the problem becoming ever more prevalent, does it not strike you as a PSU issue? Or, is my instinct completely wrong on this? I suppose I'm just looking for a second opinion, particularly one that comes with experience, of which I lack.

My PSU is a 850W EVGA SuperNOVA P2 80 Platinum.
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB
Processor: i7-8700k
Memory: 16GB HyperX Fury DDR4- 3200MHZ
Motherboard: Asus Prime Z370-P

If there is anything else that should be included within this thread, please let me know.

Another thing which should be noted! The Error Associated with each crash inside the Event Log is:
Kernel-Power
(EventID: 41)
(Version: 6)

Thank you for reading.
If there is anything else I can add to help, or forgot to put in this description, I'm sure you won't be shy about letting me know.

iceflowers

Prominent
May 9, 2018
Hm.

Well.

I put in a new PSU.

It changed nothing.

The only card I have left to play, is to reset windows.

If that doesn't fix it, I suppose I have to make another spare 3k and buy a new one.

I've thought about taking it to a technician but I don't trust anyone, I have no idea who would do a good job in my area.

iceflowers

Prominent
May 9, 2018
Another crash today. As with before, within a two/three day period.

You seem confused. Why?

I'm not replacing the Motherboard myself. I lack both the confidence and the experience needed in order to do so.

A buddy of mine said it might be the HDD, or the Motherboard by this point. Current plan is to replace the existing Hard Drive, install Windows fresh on it, and hope the problem is not the latter.

Unfortunately, it probably is the Motherboard. If that should be the case, how would one go about sorting it out? No choice but to buy a new one?

"My area" would be in Lansing, Michigan.

I asked for your area because we have people from all over the world here. $3K could be $3000 USD or $3000 Yuan. You never did explain what you would be spending $3000 on. That's a lot of money for any PC or PC part, which is why I was confused.

If you didn't build the PC or don't know how to fix it, who did you buy it from? It doesn't sound like an off the shelf build (ex: the mix of different brand parts, i.e. the EVGA PSU, Asus board, etc.)

iceflowers

Prominent
May 9, 2018
I would be spending it on an entirely new gaming PC.
Perhaps that seems frivolous, but I haven't the confidence to do it myself, and would rather pay extra for a professional to do it.

Bought this particular build from a boutique by the name of Maingear.

Replacing the Power Supply has done nothing to solve my problem. Turns out it wasn't that after all.
Someone told me it could be the HDD? Not sure how, but I've been meaning to replace it to check. Amazon keeps sending me the wrong one, so haven't been able to get around to it.

If it's the Motherboard, I'm way too inexperienced to mess around with that. The very idea is horrifying.
I'm praying that it isn't, but sadly, this is probably the case.

I do have several errors saved from after the crashes take place. Is there anywhere I can post these, so that someone with know-how could read them? Maybe there's information in the error to help narrow down the problem?

TRENDING THREADS