[SOLVED] Is my power supply enough for a rx 580

Feb 23, 2019
Hi my pc specs are
Processor AMD FX(tm)-8350 Eight-Core Processor, 4000 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
24 GB RAM , 64 bit

I am just wondering im thinking of upgrading my graphics card from a gtx 950 to a PowerColor AMD Radeon RX 580 8GB DDR5 RED DEVIL Graphics Card GPU
and i have a 500w powersupply does anyone know if a 500w will handle a rx580 thanks

Solution
I don't know of Any premium 500w psus. Every one I've ever seen ranks from mediocre to garbage.

That's a 125w cpu. You can add 75w just in extras on the motherboard, drives, fans etc. The PowerColor Rx580 can pull over 200w by itself. To add to that, OC, you do have some decent OC on that weak FX right? There's easily another 100w.

All in all, if you pushed that cpu to its limits (not that hard to do to get decent(ish) fps, you'll be running @ 400-450w. Many cheap 500w psus will throw sparks at just over 50% loads, and you want to push @ 400w.

Chances are 50/50 it'll run right, everything depends on that psu, but you roll the dice under the heavy loads as to whether or not it can sustain a 70-90% output for any length of...
With a top quality psu, yes.
Otherwise, perhaps not
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

Past that, take the time to see if you can actually use a stronger graphics card.
Your FX-8350 has weak cores.

Try this simple test:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

Hi my pc specs are
Processor AMD FX(tm)-8350 Eight-Core Processor, 4000 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
24 GB RAM , 64 bit

I am just wondering im thinking of upgrading my graphics card from a gtx 950 to a PowerColor AMD Radeon RX 580 8GB DDR5 RED DEVIL Graphics Card GPU
and i have a 500w powersupply does anyone know if a 500w will handle a rx580 thanks

Need to know what the PSU is exactly.

MOST as in almost all 500W PSU's are complete garbage and not worth buying or trusting to run any system.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I don't know of Any premium 500w psus. Every one I've ever seen ranks from mediocre to garbage.

That's a 125w cpu. You can add 75w just in extras on the motherboard, drives, fans etc. The PowerColor Rx580 can pull over 200w by itself. To add to that, OC, you do have some decent OC on that weak FX right? There's easily another 100w.

All in all, if you pushed that cpu to its limits (not that hard to do to get decent(ish) fps, you'll be running @ 400-450w. Many cheap 500w psus will throw sparks at just over 50% loads, and you want to push @ 400w.

Chances are 50/50 it'll run right, everything depends on that psu, but you roll the dice under the heavy loads as to whether or not it can sustain a 70-90% output for any length of time.

There's a reason why it's highly recommended minimum of 550w, simply because of the psu choices range upto excellent, not stop at mediocre.

Solution