[SOLVED] Is my power supply enough for an RTX 20XX card?

Aug 29, 2020
I have a fairly new PC I was using for high-precision scientific computing. I recently decided to repurpose it for gaming. Basically, I thought I could upgrade the graphics card and wondered if it is indeed all I'll have to do.

My current build:
Power supply: Antec EA750G Pro (750W)
UPS: Eaton 5e 1500i (1500 VA)
Motherboard: ASUS PRIME X299-DELUXE II
Processor: Intel Core i9-10920X
Graphics card: GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 960 WindForce 2X OC
Memory: 2 x Corsair CMK64GX4M2E3200C16 DDR4-2132 1066.1 MHz
HDD: 2 x Seagate ST3000DM007-1WY10G (3000 GB, 5425 RPM)
SSD: 1 x INTEL SSDPEKNW512G8 (PCIe, 512 GB)
USB devices: 6 USB devies (incl. a standard keyboard and mouse)
Monitor: LG 34GL750-B (IPS, 34', curved ultrawide)
Case fans: 6 x 120 mm (non-RGB) connected to ASUS's Fan Extension Card II
CPU fan: MSI Core Frozr L CPU Cooler

I wanted to replace the GTX 960 with one of these, ordered by descending order of preference:
GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, aiming for ASUS ROG Strix Advanced edition

GeForce RTX 2080 Super, aiming for ASUS ROG Strix OC edition

GeForce RTX 2070 Super, aiming for ASUS ROG Strix Advanced edition

Can I replace my current graphics card with one of these, if any, without upgrading my power supply? Also, will I need to upgrade my UPS

I hope I neither overlooked necessary details, nor overburdened you with useless ones. Many thanks for your kind help!

Solution
UPS is most likely fine and your PSU is more than enough. With RTX 3000 right around the corner it is not a good idea to buy RTX 2000s. I'd also worry about your RAM speeds as it seems to be not configured properly. Enable XMP to unleash your RAM's potential.
I'm not sure if you need to upgrade your UPS as that isn't my department. However your power supply is in the green you could even install a 2080ti since your powersupply is quite beefy. It might also be worth it to look into the 30 series if you're fine with waiting a bit. :)

Last edited:
UPS is most likely fine and your PSU is more than enough. With RTX 3000 right around the corner it is not a good idea to buy RTX 2000s. I'd also worry about your RAM speeds as it seems to be not configured properly. Enable XMP to unleash your RAM's potential.

Reactions: FoxVoxDK
Solution
Aug 29, 2020
Thank you very much, PrinceTexasLoaf and refillable. I wasn't aware the 3000s series is close to being released. I'll wait for it. There's no urgency.

refillable and FoxVoxDK: Your XMP tip is remarkable. Thank you very much. This system was somewhat struggling to do a fairly complex computation that relied on about 10 GB of precomputed numbers. I rerun that code. It is now 4-12 times faster, depending on size of the initial input. I think I'll go trolling through the BIOS utility to see what else could be optimized.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts