Question Is my power supply enough

ImSpeedy

Commendable
Oct 16, 2019
Hi i nave a atx-450w psu and g630 întel cpu
i want to upgrade to i5 2500(or 2500k same price) and to rx 460 2gb
Is my power supply enough for 2500k or 2500 +rx 460 2gb

Yes, so long as it is a quality 450w PSU, that is plenty of capacity for that configuration and graphics card. The question now is, what is the EXACT model of the power supply and you can find that on the specifications decal ON the power supply itself. Not all 450w power supplies are created equally and some can barely manage to sustain 250w. Many shouldn't be used with ANY gaming cards whatsoever.

Not only is it a 100% dumpster fire type unit, it clearly lists being Pentium 4 compatible on it which means it's about 19 years old. That's about 17 years longer than that unit should ever have been used for, in ANY system, even a basic pentium 4 system with no graphics card. Replace it, indeed. Do NOT use that unit with your upgraded hardware and if you were wise you would stop using that system immediately until you get something of appropriate quality.

What country are you in?

ImSpeedy

Commendable
Oct 16, 2019
im from romania, i used with this psu g630 întel pentium 2nd generation,ati radeon hd 4650 1gb overclocked by me ,4gb ram ddr3.I get 60-70 fps in cs go 900p but gpu is used 100% while cpu 50% .My budget is very low for this upgade

ImSpeedy

Commendable
Oct 16, 2019
what psu do u advice me to buy for rx 560 4gb 6 pin connector and i5 2500k maybe some oc for lowest price low budget .I can renounce at oc and maybe at 6 pin conector gpu to rx 460 2gb no 6 pin or 4 or anything for lower price.Im from romania

Being from Romania does not change the basic fact that a cheap power supply is a cheap power supply.

Yes, we understand that hardware is more difficult, and expensive, to come by in your region. So what? You choose to be a gamer and have hardware you can game on and IF you value the rest of your hardware, which by the way WAS more expensive and should therefore be VERY valuable to you, you should want to not only protect IT but also not WASTE money on a power supply that is just going to create more RISK than reward.

You need a GOOD 400w or higher unit, and since GOOD 400w units are practically non-existent these days, then a good 450w unit is what you should be looking for.

Since we don't know what might be available to you locally, I would read the information at the following link, and take it seriously. Choose a model from among those recommended and DO NOT choose a MODEL simply based on WHO the brand name is. Brands have good AND bad models. ALL of them. Actually, some have ONLY bad models, but even the best PSU brands tend to also have some models that are pretty much junk, so knowing what MODEL you are getting is the MOST important thing.

If you can't find a decent model from among all of the ones indicated there, IDK what to tell you. At that point I guess you'd have to provide us with a list of ALL the models that ARE available to you, and we could try to inform you on which of them is the least bad.

For THAT version of the VS, that is not the gray label unit (Which is a newer version of the VS and is "ok-ish"), it is a poor quality unit. Much better than Njoy or other off the wall oddball brands, but not by much. Poor quality capacitors. Group regulated. Poor build quality.

Both VS Series are double forward with group regulation. The original VS Series is made by CWT and is 230V only. The new one is made by HEC and supports full range input and uses more robust FETs that handle transient loads a lot better than the CWT version.

Also the HEC version is thicker steel and 15mm shorter in depth than the old version; so it's stronger and fits well in small builds.

Neither are a very good choice, whether old or new. The CX unit I linked to would be the lowest priced and lowest quality unit that I could recommend from that website that I wouldn't have turn my head and drop my eyes in shame by recommending to you.

ChevetteSCx

Reputable
Sep 5, 2019
HaHa!! ''450 WATTS''! 12Vx18A + -12Vx0.5A + 5Vx30A + 3.3Vx21A + +5VSBx1.5A = 448.8W!! That reminds me of another '90s spec - PMPO speaker ratings!! The ''power input'' they could sustain for 1 nanosecond, BEFORE a Chernobyl-like MeLtDoWn!!

Back to the problem...I think the ONLY THING that can account for the longevity of this PSU, is that it probably operated @230VAC in a 60W budget/basic system it's whole life! Would have kept the current input and therefore the stress and heat much lower than the North American 115VAC!!

NOW, for the solution...You want a PSU with a MINIMUM TRUE 450W output on the 12V rail(s). Which is how the QUALITY MANUFACTURERS spec their PSUs, now. The 12V rail is what primarily powers your Motherboard/CPU, and solely powers a GPU. For longevity, quality and the least power loss without breaking the bank, I recommend a name brand 80+ Gold PSU, such as Seasonic, EVGA, Corsair, Cooler Master, etc.

Some reasonably priced examples are :
Seasonic X-Series (550W-850W) and G-Series (450W-750W) were pretty good;
EVGA G2/G3 (550W-and-up);
EVGA GS (550W-and-up)
EVGA GQ (650W-and-up);
Corsair HX and AX-Series (Seasonic based PSUs);
Cooler Master RS and V-Series (depending on the manufacturer).
Some of the above PSUs have been discontinued/replaced, but you might be able to track down a good, used one within your budget. If you REALLY want to know who manufactures what, visit here :
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/PSUReviewDatabase.html
(by no means a COMPLETE LIST, but includes reviews and ratings, so pretty good!)

You'll have to do some local research to determine the availability and best price/value/quality for your needs, but a TRUE 450W MINIMUM PSU! Good Luck!

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS