[SOLVED] Is my power supply enough?

g.ranul98

Commendable
Sep 29, 2017
I just overclocked my CPU and ran a heaven benchmark and my AVG FPS has dropped from 68.2 to 58. I'm running a 500W power supply from EVGA
Im wondering if the GPU is not getting enough power now considering the CPU is using more power to run itself at 4.1 GHz
I5 6600k
1080ti MSI gaming x
MSI Z170 Pc mate motherboard
Is this the issue, I'm considering buying a bigger power supply
Thanks

Solution
Get out of the OC Genie, back it down, turn it off, disable it, make sure there is NO OC Genie button on the motherboard engaged, forget that it ever existed. Then reset the bios and cmos to factory default (F5) and save/exit (F10) and if you are inclined, pray it's fully gone. Reboot several times using RESET, NOT Windows Shutdown, and pray again that it is fully removed. Verify with programs like cpu-z that voltages are as they should be, turbo is still registering as 3.9GHz etc.

Then go into bios, set the multiplier for 41 and lock the cores. TAB over and you'll find a setting for maximum turbo, set that for 41. There's enough factory voltage that nothing else should be required.

g.ranul98

Commendable
Sep 29, 2017
The difference in power consumed probably isn't that big. What settings did you change during the overclock? Also, what kind of cooling do you have?
I have a Corsair H55 water cooler for the CPU and on my motherboard there is a option called OC genie which bumped up my CPU to 4.1 GHz. I checked temperatures with a Aida 64 stress test and everything seems fine, all around the 60 degrees

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Get out of the OC Genie, back it down, turn it off, disable it, make sure there is NO OC Genie button on the motherboard engaged, forget that it ever existed. Then reset the bios and cmos to factory default (F5) and save/exit (F10) and if you are inclined, pray it's fully gone. Reboot several times using RESET, NOT Windows Shutdown, and pray again that it is fully removed. Verify with programs like cpu-z that voltages are as they should be, turbo is still registering as 3.9GHz etc.

Then go into bios, set the multiplier for 41 and lock the cores. TAB over and you'll find a setting for maximum turbo, set that for 41. There's enough factory voltage that nothing else should be required.

Reactions: SamirD
Solution

g.ranul98

Commendable
Sep 29, 2017

Thanks I'll let you know how it goes

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I'm hoping 🤞. The software has gotten better since it's inception, but it does far more than adjust multipliers and voltages, it messes with the BCLK and memory and communication speeds with storage in order to maximize the OC number. Which can have disastrous results as many of the hidden bios settings do not get reverted with it being disabled, leaving unstable pc's.

Far, far, far better to OC manually as you can always back out or back down and only mess with certain settings of your choice.