is my power supply giving too much voltage to my pc

Nov 4, 2018
I was talking to some people and they said it is possible that my vs 650 could be giving more voltage to my pc is there any way to see if it is

Solution
No. The PC will only draw the power that it requires. It doen't matter if your power supply is 1000 watts or 650 watts. If the system needs only 200 watts, that is what it will draw.

It is a good idea to match the power supply to your system though. It will be a bit more power efficient that way.
No. The PC will only draw the power that it requires. It doen't matter if your power supply is 1000 watts or 650 watts. If the system needs only 200 watts, that is what it will draw.

It is a good idea to match the power supply to your system though. It will be a bit more power efficient that way.

Solution

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Any monitoring software will tell you the voltages. The system BIOS will as well. https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Only a malfunctioning power supply would be supplying too much voltage. If your friends are saying your power supply is too large, no, the computer will only consume what it needs.

The wattage provided is a maximum output. It will only output that much if there is a load to consume it. Exceeding that rating can cause the PSU to shut down gracefully. Not so good power supplies may fail spectacularly, explode, or catch fire. Though Corsair are usually pretty good about failing gracefully.

ATX spec roughly:
5V +4.75 V to +5.25
-5V −4.50 V to −5.50
12V +11.40 V to +12.60
-12V −10.80 V to −13.20
3.3V +3.135 V to +3.465
-3.3V +4.75 V to +5.25

iamacow

Admirable
Software voltage is often wrong. You can be over voltage and under by up to .5v without issues (for the most part). But software is usually way off. but 12.6v is fine for the 12v rail even if its from software.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Those only measure the primary side of the PSU. The OP can't read his PSU's output voltages with those. Watts, yes. But even that is before power factor is considered.

Nov 4, 2018
is this one somewhat accurate HWinfo64
It not about it being too big it's about how people are telling me since the vs series is bad it will slowly give too much voltage to my parts

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Yes, the VS series is the low end class of the (Corsair?) line of PSUs. But it isn't necessarily 'bad'. Is it the one with the gray label or green?
The only way the PSU will output out of range voltages is if the regulator module(s) fail. Not all that likely.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Yeah, that's the newer, better line of Corsair PSUs. The VS is their low end model, but if the voltage is within tolerances, it should be fine. Check with a Windows app if you want. But to be more accurate, you'll want to use a voltmeter at the 24-pin and CPU 4/8 pin. Use the list that Eximo presented to verify you are within tolerances.

Are you having some kind of issues that make you think the voltages are low?

TRENDING THREADS