Is my Power Supply going bad?

FlazerDragon

Reputable
Aug 10, 2015
I've been having problems with my computer all of a sudden. It will completely randomly go black and then restart itself after a couple of seconds. Doesn't matter if I'm in google chrome and had just restarted 5 minutes ago, doesn't matter if I've been playing video games for 2 hours. Completely random.

Everything I've seen has pointed to the power supply, but I'm still unsure.
It's an 850 watt Thermaltake I bought just a year ago.
I've started watching the voltage on the +12v on a program designed for my motherboard and it's been staying around 11.8v - 12v, but it is CONSTANTLY changing, like every second or two.

I was told that the voltage should only change every couple of minutes at least, but usually stays exactly the same. Is this a sign of my power supply going out? I suspect it randomly drops below 11.4v causing the black out, but I haven't seen it do that since I started watching it. I've also gone into my computer and double checked all the wires.

Is the constant change in voltage every second or two, even slightly (Such as 11.827v to 11.880v), a bad sign?

Edit: I watched it drop to 11.56v then immediately to 11.9v it's done this maybe twice in the past 30 minutes.

TRENDING THREADS