[SOLVED] Is my power supply needs replacement?

Tight.Budget.Gamer

Prominent
Feb 26, 2020
Hi,

My power supply has been noisy for a couple of months everytime I open ups my computer and then becomes silent after 30mins, but the concern is that every now and then my computer freezes and makes a scratching sound (like a cat scratching a metal), this freezing happens while playing games, browsing the internet and even while booting up the computer just right into the desktop. I am guessing that this is my power supply for it is noisy every start of the boot up but I really don’t know what is the problem with my PC.

Current Set Up:
Operating System = Windows 7 Ultimate Service Pack 1
RAM = Kingston Hyper X 8Gb DDR-3 1866MHz Fury Red Memory
Graphics Card = None
HDD = Seagate 500Gb Barracuda 16Mb 7200RPM 3.5" SATA Hard Disk Drive
Case: Cooler Master N200
Power Supply: Power Logic 700Watts

Crash right after booting up, not even initializing the desktop fully.
https://ibb.co/MBGLnJP

could be the PSU going, but it could also have damaged other components along the way.

Replace your PSU with a reliable model (Antec, Seasonic, Corsair (grey label), Be Quiet!) in 80+ Bronze or better

since you don't have a GPU a 350, 400 or 450W model should be plenty

Hi,

My power supply has been noisy for a couple of months everytime I open ups my computer and then becomes silent after 30mins, but the concern is that every now and then my computer freezes and makes a scratching sound (like a cat scratching a metal), this freezing happens while playing games, browsing the internet and even while booting up the computer just right into the desktop. I am guessing that this is my power supply for it is noisy every start of the boot up but I really don’t know what is the problem with my PC.

Current Set Up:
Operating System = Windows 7 Ultimate Service Pack 1
RAM = Kingston Hyper X 8Gb DDR-3 1866MHz Fury Red Memory
Graphics Card = None
HDD = Seagate 500Gb Barracuda 16Mb 7200RPM 3.5" SATA Hard Disk Drive
Case: Cooler Master N200
Power Supply: Power Logic 700Watts

Crash right after booting up, not even initializing the desktop fully.
https://ibb.co/MBGLnJP
That is a VERY low quality PSU that should be avoided at all costs. A lot of them are based on platforms that are now ancient. As ScrewySqrl said replace it. I would go with a Seasonic Focus Gold or Focus GM at 450W. Those are high quality PSUs that will last for many years.

Reactions: King_V

TRENDING THREADS