[SOLVED] is my power supply operating within reccomended voltages?

russell_84

Honorable
Jun 26, 2014
recently i lost a usb port on my motherboard and when that happened i could no longer use windows 10 cause it might be corrupted. I installed it on another storage device then later i find out my processor would reach 70c to 75c idle. then when i would play a game it would shut my pc off then i found out resetting the bios via jumper everytime i start up seems to solve it but now im getting high powerusage on firefox and vlc becomes very laggy and almost not usable at all. below are the voltages from the motherboard

UHBIZlG.png

Solution
recently i lost a usb port on my motherboard and when that happened i could no longer use windows 10 cause it might be corrupted. I installed it on another storage device then later i find out my processor would reach 70c to 75c idle. then when i would play a game it would shut my pc off then i found out resetting the bios via jumper everytime i start up seems to solve it but now im getting high powerusage on firefox and vlc becomes very laggy and almost not usable at all. below are the voltages from the motherboard

UHBIZlG.png

Uhh, man that dosen't look good, however it's software, not as accurate as motherboard or multimeter.

Firstly Check your BIOS for voltages, see if they are the same or in...

Zoel.fahmi

Upstanding
Dec 27, 2019
Full specs?

UHBIZlG.png

650 watt psu

What brand?

below are the voltages from the motherboard

UHBIZlG.png

As you said: these are software readings taken from the motherboard. Not the PSU. They should be accepted with a grain of salt.

If you want to know your actual PSU voltages, you need a multimeter.

But if the voltages really are that off (the +12V and +5V being high), you may have an issue right there.

As Jay32267 said, +/- 5% is spec., and even that is a VERY sloppy spec.

Reactions: russell_84

russell_84

Honorable
Jun 26, 2014
What brand?

As you said: these are software readings taken from the motherboard. Not the PSU. They should be accepted with a grain of salt.

If you want to know your actual PSU voltages, you need a multimeter.

But if the voltages really are that off (the +12V and +5V being high), you may have an issue right there.

As Jay32267 said, +/- 5% is spec., and even that is a VERY sloppy spec.
corsair tx 650 im pretty sure and it has some years on it so im pretty certain thats what it is

darknightbacca1

Prominent
Feb 28, 2019

UHBIZlG.png

Uhh, man that dosen't look good, however it's software, not as accurate as motherboard or multimeter.

Firstly Check your BIOS for voltages, see if they are the same or in the ballpark of the same.

Secondly if you can, RMA the PSU to get a refund, also here's the PSU TIER LIST -

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40/

Judge off this list for a new PSU, try to go Tier B and up, as for wattage you could pull off a 450w, but i'd highly recommend to go with 550w / 650w (for future upgrades)

Solution