ASRock b450 itx board
Ryzen 5 2600
MSI - Radeon RX 570 8 GB ARMOR OC gpu
AMD Wraith Max Cooler
Trident Z 16gb DDR4 3200
Thermaltake Suppressor F1 case
Corsair 550CXM psu

this is my first build im very new to this all, sorry

New gaming setup, was working for a day and I did some benchmarks and it seemed okay, aside from a little coil whine on GPU. Good temps, etc.

But today, under no load, it just randomly went "pop," very clearly audible, and wont turn back on [tried, made a similar, electric bad sound]. The RGB ram that I have stayed on, along with my mouse, but the CPU cooler's fan and LED turned off.

Initial inspection: dont see any blown up parts on the motherboard. Someone suggested I might be shorting the board and to strip all but 1 ram and cpu.

what do you guys think? also didnt smell any burning, my sense of smell isnt that great though.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums my friend!

Do you know where the pop came from? A short is possible, but if you've removed everything from the chassis and put onto a non-conductive surface and you still cannot boot - then It would certainly initially sound like PSU could be toast.

If you plug the PSU in to the other components and just turn on the wall outlet (without trying to power on PC), do you get any lights on the MB appear at all?

You could always try powering the PSU alone to see if functions at all, but the easiest and safest way to test would be to return the PSU and try a new good quality unit.

Reactions: bowser923
Jun 15, 2019
thanks much for the reply. I haven't taken out the other stuff yet to test it, I plan on doing it tomorrow, as it will take me a while. I could not identify the source of the pop, as mobo looks unscathed as far as I can tell.

The ram lights only turn on when I try to turn on the computer. I don't believe the motherboard itself has an any led indicator; could be wrong. The fan LEDs turn on for a split second [in the correct color that I set], lasting as long as the bad noise when attempting to power on, while usb mouse and ram lights stay on after.

Maybe this is worth mentioning: The motherboard is screwed into standoffs in the case, which has a metal frame. No gold colored ones, just weird "mountains" that are in the case. The PSU is right under the mobo without any kind of rubber [manual said to just screw it in with 4 screws, nothing else.]

I'll update again tomorrow

jason201

Prominent
Feb 20, 2018
Judging by the description, I'd say it's more than likely that your PSU went out!
Anyhow, not entirely sure what you mean with the standoffs (a picture might help), but as long as they're there (and the the bottom of the board doesn't make direct contact with the case) then it should be fine.

Reactions: bowser923
Jun 15, 2019
Judging by the description, I'd say it's more than likely that your PSU went out!
Anyhow, not entirely sure what you mean with the standoffs (a picture might help), but as long as they're there (and the the bottom of the board doesn't make direct contact with the case) then it should be fine.

View: https://i.imgur.com/Zpdih58.jpg

this is very similar to what I have, except no brass looking screw thing

i checked to make sure nothing was touching the mobo and I removed the GPU, one stick of ram, hard drive, and extra case fan and tried again to no avail, similar "zapping" sound.

i guess ill try to get a new power supply for now