Question Is my power supply too weak?

Dec 14, 2022
I recently made a new pc build, everything is new expect ssd and psu.
I noticed a lot of errors, chrome randomly shows the "aw snap" error, I tried to play minecraft but I'm constantly getting minecraft exit code 1. My mouse also freezes randomly every now and then. Are these the sings that my psu is too weak?

i5 11400F
gtx asus GDDR6 4GB OC 1650
Prime B560K-M
16GB RAM 2666GHz Kingstone
250GB SSD Samsung
LC-Power 600W

Edit: I got blue screen of death too, few minutes after posting this

Last edited:

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I noticed a lot of errors, chrome randomly shows the "aw snap" error, I tried to play minecraft but I'm constantly getting minecraft exit code 1. My mouse also freezes randomly every now and then. Are these the sings that my psu is too weak?

i5 11400F
Prime B560K-M
250GB SSD Samsung
LC-Power 600W
Did you do a fresh install of windows?

Dec 14, 2022
for the os did you do as suggested and try firefox to see if aw snap happens also i would reinstall minecraft you mcould have corrupted files made sure all driver are up to date .
It happens on every browser I tested so far (chrome, firefox and egde), it most frequently happens on youtube. For minecraft it only seems to work with super old versions, anything above 1.8 crashes.

i5 11400F
Prime B560K-M
250GB SSD Samsung
LC-Power 600W

Hey there,

To answer your question, your particular PSU is rubbish. Even putting it against a Corsair VS, makes the VS look good.

Your system isn't exactly power hungry, but nonetheless, I wouldn't have that PSU in any build. A good Corair RMx/RM/RMi, 550-650w would be perfect for you.

In terms of the crashes. They don't typically follow the PSU issue trail. Could be ram related. Run memtest86+ outside of windows and test your ram.

Are all you system drivers, and GPU drivers up to date? Use DDU to uninstall the GPU drivers, and reinstall them fresh.

What bios are you running for your mobo? Bios updates bring a lot of fixes, which include GPU bugs, mem compatibility CPU performance enhancements. It's worth keeping up to date.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2022
Hey there,

To answer your question, your particular PSU is rubbish. Even putting it against a Corsair VS, makes the VS look good.

Your system isn't exactly power hungry, but nonetheless, I wouldn't have that PSU in any build. A good Corair RMx/RM/RMi, 550-650w would be perfect for you.

In terms of the crashes. They don't typically follow the PSU issue trail. Could be ram related. Run memtest86+ outside of windows and test your ram.

Are all you system drivers, and GPU drivers up to date? Use DDU to uninstall the GPU drivers, and reinstall them fresh.

What bios are you running for your mobo? Bios updates bring a lot of fixes, which include GPU bugs, mem compatibility CPU performance enhancements. It's worth keeping up to date.
I have cooler master bronze v2 750W on the way.

I actually switched ram 3 times, at first I had 16GB 3200 GHz Ryzen. I thought that it was too powerful for my build so I switched to 8GBs 2100GHz then I switched the one I'm currently using Kingstone 16GB 2666GHz

I checked my drivers and they're all up to date, and yes I also updated BIOS to the latest version.
I'll try running the memtest and re-installing gpu driver.

I have cooler master bronze v2 750W on the way.

I actually switched ram 3 times, at first I had 16GB 3200 GHz Ryzen. I thought that it was too powerful for my build so I switched to 8GBs 2100GHz then I switched the one I'm currently using Kingstone 16GB 2666GHz

I checked my drivers and they're all up to date, and yes I also updated BIOS to the latest version.
I'll try running the memtest and re-installing gpu driver.

Ah, that's a pity. Whilst not the worst PSU, the MWE is just bang average. I guess, sufficient for your build though. Hopefully it will work for you.

On the bios, make sure to clear CMOS after the bios update, otherwise remnants of microcode from the previous bios can cause issues. Clearing CMOS takes care of that.

On the ram issue. That's a bit odd. You mobo supports speeds up to 5000mhz OC (XMP), and your CPU supports speeds up to 3200mhz. The IMC for Intel CPU's are very robust so should take faster ram easily. That 3200mhz didn't work makes me think you chose parts that aren't tested with your mobo. Choosing sets from the QVL may help there: PRIME B560M-K|Motherboards|ASUS Global

Just filter it out for the speed ram you want, and the number of dimms (preferably 2 x 8 or 2 x 16gb)

shengton

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2008

i5 11400F
Prime B560K-M
250GB SSD Samsung
LC-Power 600W

It is possible that your power supply unit (PSU) may not be sufficient for your system. It is also possible that there could be other issues causing these problems. It's important to first make sure that all of your components are properly seated and connected, and that you have the latest drivers and firmware installed.

If you have verified that all of your components are properly installed and updated and the problems persist, it is worth considering that your PSU may not be able to provide enough power to your system. In particular, the GTX 1650 graphics card you have can be quite power-hungry, and a 600W PSU may not be enough to support it.

It's also worth noting that the blue screen of death (BSOD) can be caused by a variety of issues, including hardware problems and software conflicts. If you continue to experience BSOD errors, it is a good idea to try and gather information about the error message and code displayed on the screen, as this can help you troubleshoot the issue.

I recommend trying to run some stress tests on your system to see if you can reproduce the errors and gather more information about what might be causing them. You can use tools like OCCT or Prime95 to stress test your CPU and GPU, and tools like MemTest86 to test your RAM. These tests can help you determine if any of your components are failing or if there are other issues with your system.

It's also a good idea to check the temperatures of your components to make sure they are not overheating. If any of your components are running at very high temperatures, it could be causing instability and errors.

In summary, it's possible that your PSU may not be sufficient for your system, but it is also important to consider other potential causes for the issues you are experiencing.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead