[SOLVED] Is my Power Supply's max wattage decreasing? (GPU NO LONGER WORKING)

Sep 15, 2018
The other day I was playing a game and my PC shutoff. After troubleshooting I determined that my PC will boot without my RX 580 connected. My RX 460 works fine with my system. I have been using my RX 580 for about a month. I think it might be my power supply's output decreasing. My PSU is a Corsair CX650M and I have been using it everyday for about 9 months. I believe my system needs about a 550W. Could my PSU's max wattage decreased 100 watts in 9 months? Thanks!

Solution

Your system needs a 550W power supply (for comfort room), but could run on a good 450W power supply. It will only use around ~300W under full load.

Power supplies don't decrease in wattage. Their internal components can fail or degrade, and can work at lower wattages without showing signs of failing. But once that has happened, the unit is damaged and should be replaced.

This would be the first time I've seen the CX650M failing. But, it's certainly possible. I suppose you don't have another power supply you can test your RX 580 with do you?

Your system needs a 550W power supply (for comfort room), but could run on a good 450W power supply. It will only use around ~300W under full load.

Power supplies don't decrease in wattage. Their internal components can fail or degrade, and can work at lower wattages without showing signs of failing. But once that has happened, the unit is damaged and should be replaced.

This would be the first time I've seen the CX650M failing. But, it's certainly possible. I suppose you don't have another power supply you can test your RX 580 with do you?

Solution
It's almost certainly the RX-580 that failed.

For one thing you would use much MORE POWER in any game or stress test frankly of just the CPU alone (same 12V source in PSU) with the RX-460 attached than just booting with the RX-580.

Nor is there much difference in power draw overall when booting up a system. The RX-580 would draw maybe 20W max? Your entire computer is under 100W when booting up and probably 200W worst-case with a CPU stress test only.

So it is not your PSU.

use hardware info set it to logging and sensor see if the 12v rail is holding. most new power supplys if the 12v rails wont hold within atx spec your pc will shut down when it put under load. that why lower end gpu and weak power supply will post.

Sep 15, 2018
My PC shutoff that won’t time and won’t turn back on since with that GPU installed. Simply the first time I tried to reboot my LED fans flashed on for a second the turned off. After that it just doesn’t turn on.