Is my processor bottlenecking my video card?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Seriously, you can't have a conversation with this guy without starting a fight about something trivial. Everyone just agree that he is completely right, now and forever, and it will all just go away...

mi1ez

Splendid

How does your RAM do twice the work per clock?

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
I'd say it's the whole platform, just a guess.

Nforce 4 chipset, DDR memory, 939 socket thats based on Hyper Transport, rather then FSB, which is sensitive on the kind of memory you have and be limited to because of the memory controller on the chip itself, would perhaps keep a 8800GT fed at a high resolution.

And if it's a PCI-e 2.0, then your not going to get the full benefit out of the card.

tenaciousleydead

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2004
Nobody wants to hear about your "bottlenecking", you know how fast your system is. People mention upgrading because there is very little performance left to be finagled from that system. Don't post bogus topics and you wont get bogus answers.

xplice

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2008
Hi,

Your cpu will def bottleneck you in Crysis and Age of Conan and probably Bioshock also. Your ram is fine, i am running DDR ram:

MSI K8N Diamond SLI
Corsair DDR400 @ 422
4800+ X2 @ ~ 2.7Ghz
MSI 8800GT Zilent @ 700 / 2000
Ben Q 24' 1900x1200 Monitor

I get 30 - 40 fps on Crysis and 50 in Age Of Conan in full HD.

My bro's PC was a A64 3500 + @ 2.6Ghz and same Mobo

Tried and could not play Age of conan at all and def wont play Crysis. Looked for a 4400+X2 939 to upgrade for him, so hard to find now and not that cheap for what it is. Ended up easier to get a Pentium Dual Core 2180 (sooo cheap and overclocked to ~ 3.2) and a Gigabyte DS3L + 2bg ddr2800 all for £130!

Basically all new games are multi-threaded. Cyrsis, AOC, COD4, SUPCOM ..... Really need Dual core at least. See if you can get your hands on a cheap 939 x2 or just go for a new intel platform as they are so cheap now and great performance.

Hope this helps.

lameness

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2007
Preclude, sorry to annoy you, but i dont think that you know how ram works.
Im no expert so i could be wrong, but as far as i was aware, those timing numbers are the amount of clock cycles the ram takes to locate a certain block of info needed. Therefore my dd2 800mhz takes (the first number is the moist important i think) 4 clock cycles which is twice the number of clocks as yours....however my ram is also clocked at twice the speed and therfore it actually take the same amount of time. However then when the info is being sent for processing the double speed of my ram giving twice the performance of yours.

Therefore when finding the info.....are ram is equal

when sending the info my ram will be twice as quick

ddr3 1600mhz has even slower timing numbers. However even if this ram had timings of 8,8,8,22 it was still beat my ram hands down.

The 4200x2 is especially vulnerable to slower ram because it only has 2 X 512kb cache. Therefore they need to access the ram for info more frequently than intel chips which generally have 4 times the cache.

Like i said this was just my understanding...if anyone knows (and not just thinks) that iam wrong then please say.

lameness

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2007
xplice ....he already has a dual core...another poor fellow made the same error as yourself.... he doesnt walk anymore....

The OP makes Lt Worf look laid back.

xplice

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2008
Ah lol, guess he forgot the 'X2' in the initial post. CPU should be fine in that case!

Another thing worth checking is is your CPU utilisation chart. Run Task Manager > Performance while playing the demanding game of your choice and alt+tab back and see if the chart is up and down and not hitting 100% (Good) or occationally hitting 100% and going flat (Ok) or a flat line pretty much at 100% the whole time (not good! cpu def the bottleneck).

iluvgillgill

Splendid
Jan 1, 2007
i think too is the memory. as you have pointed out the RTS game experience the worse fps. because RTS use CPU for AI calculation and therefore will use quite alot of ram in the process. and DDR ram is very slow. i dont know how it will do in the AMD IMC but here is mine.
memory.JPG

for the new graphics card such as your 8800GT 2.8ghz will be enough from a Core 2 Dual. im not so sure about your 2.8Ghz compare to Core 2. because they done the test in Intel platform but you will get the general idea about Ghz to game.
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/cpu-gpu-upgrade,review-30828-20.html

chaosgs

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Hey OP, Guess who????????????

Yep its me the dude who you played missile wars with yesterday, (warcraft 3) Knew the name looked familiar.

Bottlenecks got to hate them, heh i have 3, cpu bottlenecks the gpu psu bottlenecks both gpu and cpu (not enough power and when i exchange psu's (better one) FPS go up like way up (20-30%).

Oh and just so you know its not your computer lagging in warcraft 3, its the software, least i think it has to be, played warcraft 3 on a really good computer before and my friends have as well, (Q6600 oc'ed Geforce 8800 GTX slied) now if a 6 year old game still lags on this kind of setup it has to be the software.

Is my processor bottlenecking my video card?

No.

Christopher is the only person on this thread who reasonably answered your question.

+1 for your understanding of RAM timing. Some folks just don't get it.

-1 for any suggestion of dumping your mobo.

The issue I think you have to deal with is whether you should purchase a second 8800gt and SLI (at x8x8) or consider an HD4850 or maybe a GTX 260 if you are feeling flush with cash.

When that time comes I would sell the 8800gt and probably get an HD4850 (and maybe an aftermarket cooler from the early reviews I've seen).

Here is Anand on the HD4850
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3338&p=16

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
OP: before jumping down the throats of everybody who misses an item in your spec, try posting correctly in the first place.

You want our advice, why should we trawl the interwebs just to confirm you're running an X2 when you could've easily just told us that in the first place.

And if you genuinely know as much about hardware as you're making out by jumping down everybody's throats then surely you should know where your bottleneck lies and how significant an issue it is.

Or maybe just don't come looking for advice if you're just going to be a **** about it.

Preclude

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2008

not gonna lie I was being a bit crabby, I suppose i just take for granted knowing every AMD processor (being a fanboy). I take a lot of care in quickly refreshing my knowledge of hardware with a quick Google and what not when that is not that case as well. I just figured the A8N and the 4800+ would be pretty well known. I will be much more specific next time when i post technical specs.

Preclude

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2008

Also Wisecracker I am also an Nvidia fanboy. I don't think I will ever buy an ATI Card. Then again that's what I said about Intel Processors :p

wingmaster

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2006
When AMD first started using DDR2,AM2 socket the same CPU was actually slower I think though DDR2 has a little lower cas timing now I think. DDR made up the differance being cas2 timing dont think any DDR2 can match that. Its not worth upgrading just for the memory if your using same speed CPU. Though AM2 socket will let you get faster CPU, and unlocked multiplier with the block box CPU,which will help on OC. Not saying DDR2 isnt faster just not worth the money to upgrade if thats all your worried about.

iluvgillgill

Splendid
Jan 1, 2007
OP can you do some everest benchmark to show your memory speed? i really want to see how fast they are at CAS 2 because i believe back in DDR intel using the slow ass FSB has always limted the speed of those memory. the IMC on AMD will really shows what its made of. can you do that for me PLEASE?! or someone who got similar setup:)

Preclude

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2008

well to be honest i am stuck with 2T command rate. The memory controller will not run 2T with 4 Sticks of 512.

However I will do a bench for you

Edit: These are the modules I am using http://www.mushkin.com/doc/products/memory_detail.asp?id=5

Preclude

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2008

my bad here you go
everesttw1.jpg