[SOLVED] Is my processor dead or my motherboard?

Rohit_Rayhan

Reputable
May 7, 2016
Hello Everyone.

I'll just get into the story.

I needed a new processor for my generation old Computer which was used for mainly web browsing and just day to day task.

Specs:-
Processor:-Intel Pentium Dual Core e5300.
Motherboard:-Msi G31tm-P21
Ram:- 4GB
Graphics card:- R7 240 1G ddr5
Power Supply:- Non Brand (Hi-Tech) 500W

the processor I bought was Intel core 2 quad q6600 (used and supported by the mobo according to the official website ) for 10$
the guy that sold me the cpu showed me that the bios picked up the processor and it's okay.

So I brought it home and put it in the mobo but no display on the monitor BUT THE CPU FAN WAS SPINNING so I thought the Cpu was at fault and just plugged the old processor in and no display but the FAN SPINS. Took apart the whole pc and back togather yet no display but THE FAN SPINS BUT NO DISPLAY.

note:- the old cpu was working before the q6600 was in the mobo

Troubleshoots:-
1.Minimal Boot
2.Checked the rams
3.tried the old cpu
4.Tired replacing the psu (still no display)
5. tried the onboard vga (no display)
6.resetting the CMOS

Questions:- So is the mobo dead? Is my new but used processor okay? or Dead? was the mobo on it's dead bed? If there is a solution please tell me :)
THANK YOU VERY MUCH

Hello Everyone.

I'll just get into the story.

I needed a new processor for my generation old Computer which was used for mainly web browsing and just day to day task.

Specs:-
Processor:-Intel Pentium Dual Core e5300.
Motherboard:-Msi G31tm-P21
Ram:- 4GB
Graphics card:- R7 240 1G ddr5
Power Supply:- Non Brand (Hi-Tech) 500W

the processor I bought was Intel core 2 quad q6600 (used and supported by the mobo according to the official website ) for 10$
the guy that sold me the cpu showed me that the bios picked up the processor and it's okay.

So I brought it home and put it in the mobo but no display on the monitor BUT THE CPU FAN WAS SPINNING so I thought the Cpu was at fault and just plugged the old processor in and no display but the FAN SPINS. Took apart the whole pc and back togather yet no display but THE FAN SPINS BUT NO DISPLAY.

note:- the old cpu was working before the q6600 was in the mobo

Troubleshoots:-
1.Minimal Boot
2.Checked the rams
3.tried the old cpu
4.Tired replacing the psu (still no display)
5. tried the onboard vga (no display)
6.resetting the CMOS

Questions:- So is the mobo dead? Is my new but used processor okay? or Dead? was the mobo on it's dead bed? If there is a solution please tell me :)
THANK YOU VERY MUCH
It's possible that you will have to update the BIOS on your motherboard.

Sep 13, 2019
Put your old CPU in and then you can flash the BIOS.

The fans in your case runs on their own. They are no indication that the components it's cooling are working.

Rohit_Rayhan

Reputable
May 7, 2016
What do you mean by this?

But yeah, sounds like a dead/bricked motherboard to me.
thank you very much for replying R4DIO4CT1VE.

I went to my local technician to check if my processor was alright or not as I was still not convinced that my mobo was dead. Turns out it was okay and had a windows 7 rating of 7.1 so It was working fine so now I'm now sure that it's my Mobo