Is my processor running healthy?

Alan

I have a Gigabyte GA-8IDX3 which have a Intel 845 chipset. This
processor is running at a temp ranging from 45 to 58 deg C. Is this
temp range normal?

Thank you.

Although you didn't mention the CPU model, the utter max is usually 100 C,
although you never want to be up there. Mine's running at 46 right now, I
don't think you have much to worry about.

"Alan" <thepest1998@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I have a Gigabyte GA-8IDX3 which have a Intel 845 chipset. This
> processor is running at a temp ranging from 45 to 58 deg C. Is this
> temp range normal?
>
> Thank you.

Nomad

Hmm. I agree that 58C is proably safe for some CPU's. I do wonder
about a max of 100C. That is the boiling point of water which might be
just a bit warm for a computer environment. I'm running a P4 3.0 on an
Intel D865PERL at the moment and my temp is sitting at 29C. Of course
I'm not overclocking either.

On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 16:25:42 GMT, "Jonba" <jon@1000julys.com> wrote:
>Although you didn't mention the CPU model, the utter max is usually 100 C,
>although you never want to be up there. Mine's running at 46 right now, I
>don't think you have much to worry about.

The meek shall NOT inherit the earth.

eLJay

Distinguished
May 13, 2003

On a related note, does anyone have a link to a site listing optimal
CPU temperatures etc.? I went to AMD's site and all it lists is
maximum temp, which doesn't help much. I want to know if my CPU is
running over its recommended temp.

thanks

On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 18:26:54 GMT, etwin@home.com (Nomad) wrote:

>Hmm. I agree that 58C is proably safe for some CPU's. I do wonder
>about a max of 100C. That is the boiling point of water which might be
>just a bit warm for a computer environment. I'm running a P4 3.0 on an
>Intel D865PERL at the moment and my temp is sitting at 29C. Of course
>I'm not overclocking either.
>
>On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 16:25:42 GMT, "Jonba" <jon@1000julys.com> wrote:
>>Although you didn't mention the CPU model, the utter max is usually 100 C,
>>although you never want to be up there. Mine's running at 46 right now, I
>>don't think you have much to worry about.
>>

>The meek shall NOT inherit the earth.

Stacey

Nomad wrote:

> Hmm. I agree that 58C is proably safe for some CPU's. I do wonder
> about a max of 100C. That is the boiling point of water which might be
> just a bit warm for a computer environment. I'm running a P4 3.0 on an
> Intel D865PERL at the moment and my temp is sitting at 29C. Of course
> I'm not overclocking either.

IMHO you shouldn't subject yourself to the noise required to keep a CPU that
cold. I'd slow down the fans till you see something around 50C.

--

Stacey

jad

if your running 50 - 75% of maximum temperature, your at or close to
optimal (my way of determining). This subject gets so freaking
technical its hard to find just a plain vanilla chart to explain it.

etwin@home.com (Nomad) wrote in message news:<408c01d1.14569734@shawnews>...

> I agree that 58C is proably safe for some CPU's. I do wonder about
> a max of 100C. That is the boiling point of water which might be
> just a bit warm for a computer environment. I'm running a P4 3.0
> on an Intel D865PERL at the moment and my temp is sitting at 29C.

58C is safe for all CPUs, but what's safe for the CPU may not be good
for reliable operation. The lowest allowed operating temperature I've
ever seen for a CPU was 55C, but almost all current AMD and Intel PC
CPUs are rated for a maximum operating temperature of 85C, and it
wouldn't surprise me if all CPUs can withstand roughly 100C without
damage. Many large individual transistors are rated for 125-150C,
some 200C.

I wouldn't want a CPU to run at over 70C or so because the heat
generated could cause surrounding electrolytic capacitors to run hot
and fail earlier.

eljay <checkMessage@ForEmail.com> wrote in message news:<vo8o809a6qatihqfhuhufgkj200d6ndfaq@4ax.com>...

> does anyone have a link to a site listing optimal CPU
> temperatures etc.? I went to AMD's site and all it
> lists is maximum temp, which doesn't help much.
> I want to know if my CPU is running over its recommended temp.

CPUs aren't like human beings or engines and don't have a narrow range
of temperatures for optimal performance. Optimal for a CPU is the
coldest temperature at which dew won't form at all, but anything below
the maximum specified temperature for operation is fine for the CPU,
assuming that you don't overclock.

"JAD" <jdemma25@eartink.net> wrote in message news:<uvWic.2414$g31.1226@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net>...

> if your running 50 - 75% of maximum temperature, your at or
> close to optimal (my way of determining

50-75% of maximum would be approximately -94C to -5C. It would be
safer to run at 85% of maximum.

Alan

I forget to mention my cpu. Its a 1.70 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4.

"JAD" <jdemma25@eartink.net> wrote in message
> if your running 50 - 75% of maximum temperature, your at or close to
> optimal (my way of determining). This subject gets so freaking
> technical its hard to find just a plain vanilla chart to explain it.
>

> "eljay" <checkMessage@ForEmail.com> wrote in message
> > On a related note, does anyone have a link to a site listing optimal
> > CPU temperatures etc.? I went to AMD's site and all it lists is
> > maximum temp, which doesn't help much. I want to know if my CPU is
> > running over its recommended temp.
> >
> > thanks
> >

> > On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 18:26:54 GMT, etwin@home.com (Nomad) wrote:
> >
> > >Hmm. I agree that 58C is proably safe for some CPU's. I do wonder
> > >about a max of 100C. That is the boiling point of water which might
> be
> > >just a bit warm for a computer environment. I'm running a P4 3.0 on
> an
> > >Intel D865PERL at the moment and my temp is sitting at 29C. Of
> course
> > >I'm not overclocking either.

> usually 100 C,
> now, I
> > >>

> > >The meek shall NOT inherit the earth.

jad

your using what?, as a maxtemp to arrive at -5c (Negative or
hyphen?)on the low end? I was using the 100c number as it was put out
there, don't agree with that figure, little high for my taste. Besides
if you look at what the average [temp-phile ;^)] tries to achieve as
low temp is somewhere around 50 F, I guess just to see if it can be
done. LOL....

10% higher or lower, puts it at a "close to optimal". so we are in
agreement? or is there something I am missing?

"JAD" <jdemma25@eartink.net> wrote in message news:<C4ajc.3291$g31.216@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net>...

> if your running 50 - 75% of maximum temperature, your at or
> close to optimal (my way of determining
> >
> > 50-75% of maximum would be approximately -94C to -5C. It
> > would be safer to run at 85% of maximum.

> your using what?, as a maxtemp to arrive at -5c (Negative or
> hyphen?)on the low end? I was using the 100c number as it was put out
> there, don't agree with that figure, little high for my taste. Besides
> if you look at what the average [temp-phile ;^)] tries to achieve as
> low temp is somewhere around 50 F, I guess just to see if it can be
> done. LOL....
>
> 10% higher or lower, puts it at a "close to optimal". so we are in
> agreement? or is there something I am missing?

Assuming that the maximum CPU temperature is 85C, 50% of that is -94C,
75% of it is -5C, and 85% of max is about 30C.

Think of it this way: Suppose you have 2 glasses of well-stirred
water and crushed ice, meaning each is exactly at the freezing/melting
temperature of water. One has an accurate thermometer in it that says
0C, the other has one that says 32F. Double their temperatures by
adding the same amount of heat to each. What are the resulting
temperatures?