[SOLVED] Is my PSU broken?

Jul 7, 2019
Hello. I have had issues with my PC for a long time now. Every now an then, and seemingly randomly so, the computer suddenly turns off. Sometimes it instantly turns it self back on but not always, and often it just shuts down again.

There are periods of weeks with no issues, but when they occur, the PC usually keeps on shutting down multiple times a week.

It is not related to overheating, as it sometimes happens right after starting the PC. It has even happened while booting and while in the BIOS. We are guessing it's a faulty PSU, but aren't sure and can't really test since neither I nor my friends or family has any comparable components to test this PC with.

Computer specs:
CPU:
Intel Core i7-2600 3.4GHz 4 Cores 8 Threads
Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology
RAM:
Slots filled 4/4
DDR3 8192MB Dual 665.1MHz
MB:
ASRock B75 Pro3
Intel chipset Sandy Bridge
GPU:
S24E391 on AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series (HD 7950) w/ 3072MB GDDR5 Memory
Intel HD Graphics
Storage:
TOSHIBA DT01ACA3000 2794GB SATA III
Intenso SSD 111GB SATA III
PSU:
Corsair HX650W (80+ bronze certified)

Solution
Without swapping out parts, anything is a guess, but bad power supply would be one to check on, also the video card and RAM before going to anything else. Test RAM one stick at a time, then in pairs. Test without the video card. See if one of those makes it run. If it works without the video card test system with another card with similar power draw, test the card in another system.

Without being able to swap out parts you can't really do a lot of troubleshooting.
Without swapping out parts, anything is a guess, but bad power supply would be one to check on, also the video card and RAM before going to anything else. Test RAM one stick at a time, then in pairs. Test without the video card. See if one of those makes it run. If it works without the video card test system with another card with similar power draw, test the card in another system.

Without being able to swap out parts you can't really do a lot of troubleshooting.

Solution