[SOLVED] Is my psu broken?

Sep 21, 2020
Hi,
I recently upgraded my gpu to 1080ti and at first nothing was wrong. but today i tried booting a game tha uses alot of power and asus surge protection came immediately on after the first cut scene ends. It might still be a broken gpu but after reading alot of surge protection turning on when nothing was actually wrong i disabled it from bios.

Now the game started working but something weird started happening. My speakers (connected via usb) started turning on and off repeatedly. other usb devices worked without problem and i changed the usb port but it didn't help. The speakers started working correctly after closing the game. now i started to suspect the psu since wouldn't that tell me that voltage fluctuates over the right voltage? or could it be something else. hwmonitor doesn't show any problems, only thing thats close is 5V+ rail that is currently 5.24V(bios gave same reading).
Are there any tests i could do? i tried asking friends to loan me a psu for testing but nobody has a psu big enough.

Solution
Aerocool integrator 700w bronze+

The psu is definitely old
Not just old, also poor quality! I wouldn't be surprised if it was the cause of your issues. Unfortunately the only way to know is by swapping and testing, all I would say, is regardless, you are doing yourself a favour by getting a new PSU anyway!
Sep 21, 2020
Please post your entire system spec including PSU make and model.
5.24V is awfully high, whilst not technically out of spec.
I7-4790K
Asus z97 pro gamer
GTX 1080 TI
Aerocool integrator 700w bronze+

The psu is definitely old so i wouldn't be suprised if it was starting to break but only started showing sympoms after power consumption went up from swapping gpu.