Is my PSU causing black screens?

Swieber

Reputable
Aug 29, 2015
Hello, I recently got a sapphire r9 280x from my brother's computer.
I use to play CS:GO a lot and didn't have any issues running it with my 6870.
After I installed the new GPU, I sometimes get black screens and it forces me to restart the game.
I think this might be because of my PSU is not giving enough power.

My specs:
MSI 970A-G43
FX 6300
4gb RAM
300gb HHD
Silencer MK III 500W (Bronze 80+)

I've looked at the specs, that PSU provides 38A on the +12v rail, which should be plenty for a 280X.

My guess is the problem is driver related.

I would use a tool to fully uninstall your current AMD gpu drivers, then go to www.amd.com, and get the latest catalyst suit and reinstall.

Swieber

Reputable
Aug 29, 2015

I reinstalled windows 2 days ago. I had the same issue before so I thought a clean install from windows and drivers would do the trick but the problem is still here, so Im looking for some advise

Well there are a few things that could cause problems. First thing I would look at is temps (if you have any temp monitoring tools with the GPU that'd be handy, or I think GPU Z can do this). Sometimes the fan profiles for cards are a bit too low, letting it heat up more than it should.

It's also worth looking at the CPU temps- as the 280X is faster than your old 6870 it will put more strain on the cpu (I had an issue with my FX 8320 overheating after I went from a GTX 560 -> an R9 280 as the frame rates were that much higher increasing cpu load, invested in a cheap liquid cooler and problems now fixed).

I mean you are correct it *could* be the PSU, although I run my (similar) machine off a Corsair CX500 supply with similar specifications without issues which is why I think it might not be that.

Swieber

Reputable
Aug 29, 2015

I will run speedfan soon and check what it says. Could turning up the speed of the fans make it less overheat or is buying an aftermarket cooler needed?

Well the saphire 280X should have decent cooling so maybe just adjusting the fan profile if it's getting hot (actually it's also worth checking if it's full of dust if it's second hand- sometimes just taking the cover off and cleaning out dust built up in the fins is enough to solve a problem).

As for the CPU, depends on what cooler you have on it? The stock cooler isn't great so an aftermarket model might be a good idea (and they're really not very expensive, a good air coolers probably £25, I got a water cooler for £40).

Swieber

Reputable
Aug 29, 2015

All temperatures are between 28C and 42C, so I think this might not be the problem. I will try to get a blackscreen to see what temperatures we are on than.

Swieber

Reputable
Aug 29, 2015
I just got a black screen with GPU at 55C and my CPU at 58C.
It was followed by a blue screen and it rebooted my PC.
Do you still think this is due to overheating ?

58 on the CPU is a bit high, FX cpu's throttle at 60 so it's close to the limit.

The gpu at 55 shouldn't be a problem, they should be ok up to about 80 so it isn't that.

Swieber

Reputable
Aug 29, 2015

But will it cause my game to crash into a blackscreen and even followed up by a blue screen?

Honestly not sure on that one, certainly things running hot can cause instability. I mean it could be the vrm's on the motherboard getting hot making that unstable rather than the cpu.

I mean the other thing you mention is you don't have issues with the same system running with the HD 6870, so maybe the gpu is faulty if it's second hand (did your brother have issues like this?).

All I can say is the cpu temp sounds a bit high so a better cpu cooler is probably a good idea either way.