[SOLVED] Is my PSU causing game lag?

Apr 16, 2021
I recently upgraded most parts in my computer. I got a 3070, 32 gigs of ram, a B550-F motherboard, and a Ryzen 5 5600x.
A part i haven't upgrades is my PSU which sits at 500w. I tested out my rig with Red Dead Redemption 2, and the perfomance wasn't great. I was around 40fps most of the time.
The game ran better with my old 1060. So i was just wondering if my PSU could be the problem. Im not great at computers, so this question could be stupid. Any help would be appreciated.

Solution
Hey there,

Don't be worrying. Your questions is just fine, not stupid at all.

Whilst I've never seen correlation between the PSU/GPU in terms of FPS, if the PSU isn't the right quality or power, then it won't feed the system enough to work as expected.

Yes, your 500w PSU is well below recommended for both CPU and GPU, and could be the issue. You should be looking at a good quality 650w PSU to factor in the RTX3070. The RTX models switch load very quickly and these fast load changes can cause even good PSU's problems.

You should ideally look at a gold rated 650w-750w (although you won't draw that much wattage, having some headroom will help).

Something like this would be good:

PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply:...
Hey there,

Whilst I've never seen correlation between the PSU/GPU in terms of FPS, if the PSU isn't the right quality or power, then it won't feed the system enough to work as expected.

Yes, your 500w PSU is well below recommended for both CPU and GPU, and could be the issue. You should be looking at a good quality 650w PSU to factor in the RTX3070. The RTX models switch load very quickly and these fast load changes can cause even good PSU's problems.

You should ideally look at a gold rated 650w-750w (although you won't draw that much wattage, having some headroom will help).

PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($134.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $134.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-04-16 13:39 EDT-0400

Solution
Apr 16, 2021
Hey there,

PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($134.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $134.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-04-16 13:39 EDT-0400
Alright, i'll probably end up ordering a new one as nothing else i've done seems to work. Thank you the answer!