Is my PSU causing intermittent freezing?

Rocetmal

Reputable
Mar 24, 2016
Hi all,

I have been experiencing hanging/freezing of my system, both when gaming and when browsing. Usually a reboot will help but the problem inevitably returns and everything will go non-responsive for 5-6 seconds at a time.

I have no idea if it's hardware or software at this point, but I'm wondering if my PSU could be too weak? I ran a bunch of calculators that said my components should be ~330W at max load. My GPU does "recommend" (they don't use the word require) 550W, and also recommends 42A on the 12V. Mine has 40A on the 12V. But all that's connected is the CPU and GPU so I wouldn't think that would be the issue. But I also don't understand currents like an engineer, heh.

I still think it's MOST likely an issue with drivers or Windows 10... any thoughts on this angle though? FWIW, Afterburner shows my "power %" never going above 50%. When the system freezes, CPU, GPU, power all dive at the same time and come back up together. Temps are all great.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor ($165.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Enermax - ETS-N31-02 32.8 CFM CPU Cooler ($18.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock - B450 GAMING-ITX/AC Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard ($113.49 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Patriot - Viper 4 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($80.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB Dual Video Card ($300.21 @ Walmart)
Case: Thermaltake - Core V1 Mini ITX Desktop Case ($48.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - 520W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($94.89 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: Asus - VH226H 21.5" 1920x1080 Monitor
Total: $958.52
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-08-31 09:29 EDT-0400

Solution
Based on those stats, it's really doubtful that your PSU is the problem. Then again, I'm almost a shill for Seasonic; I love them.

Most likely it's something Windows 10 related. It sounds like something is issuing a reset or a low power state to your components. I had something similar happen while playing StarCraft II (almost exclusively). It turned out to be power saving in Intel's storage manager.

If you have any power saving features turned on (Windows, BIOS/UEFI, other software), turn those off and see if that helps.
My gut feeling....is that if the PSU is operating properly....it should have enough power.

The question is....."is it operating properly?"

You could check the voltages in HWmonitor or with a volt meter (HWmonitor sometimes won't give you all the voltages.)

....but I also thing there's a pretty good chance of it being a software issue.

XaveT

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2013
Based on those stats, it's really doubtful that your PSU is the problem. Then again, I'm almost a shill for Seasonic; I love them.

Most likely it's something Windows 10 related. It sounds like something is issuing a reset or a low power state to your components. I had something similar happen while playing StarCraft II (almost exclusively). It turned out to be power saving in Intel's storage manager.

If you have any power saving features turned on (Windows, BIOS/UEFI, other software), turn those off and see if that helps.

Solution

Rocetmal

Reputable
Mar 24, 2016

Thanks. Ran Memtest86 with one pass through, no errors. I am now reading you're supposed to let it run 3-4 passes at least? I am a MemTest newbie so just plugged it in and let it run on whatever defaults it wanted. I can try it again.

OCCT makes me nervous. Hate the idea of heating up my mini-ITX case for an hour...

Rocetmal

Reputable
Mar 24, 2016

Flashed my motherboard last night. It's a brand new to market board, shipped with v. 1.1 so I flashed 1.2 which I don't believe will affect this given the version notes, but you never know. I'm getting my sequence of events mixed up, but I believe the freezing happened after the flash update too. Lots of settings in that motherboard to play around with, not sure what most of them do :ouch:

Clean Windows install is my next move I think (I guess the tool in windows is called a Recovery install). Can't hurt with a new machine, very low risk to any settings or files. Next will be trying a few different versions of the GPU drivers... I have tried two so far, but there's nothing to say two aren't broken. On my wife's rig she uses the i3-6100 integrated graphics and all but 1 driver from a year ago will make her screen blink on and off. Crazy how that works. Saved the driver to desktop and have to roll it back every few months when Windows tries to update it.