Question Is my PSU causing my GPU to fail?

Dec 29, 2022
I recently installed STALKER GAMMA, a heavily modded game that can be very demanding on a PC. Since playing, my HDMI has lost signal various times, at seemingly random occasions; sometimes I can play for hours on end, other times I can't play more than 10 minutes. But the latest occurrence of this has me worried, because after I restarted the computer, the HDMI lost signal right after I logged in, didn't even get to start up a single program. That was the first time my PC has ever done that, although I do remember my HDMI losing signal while playing a game once a long time ago. Although I can't remember what I was playing, that one occurrence was probably a year and a half ago.

Here's exactly what happens when I'm playing, and what my HWinfo sensors are saying: First my screen goes black, and the monitor says there is no HDMI signal; pretty much simultaneously or shortly afterwards my fans start running at a high speed. After I lose signal, the PC continues running, fans and lights are all on and I can continue playing the game or listening to youtube, just can't see anything. Now, while playing, the PC audibly is not working hard; it pretty much sounds the same as when I'm just idling on the PC, nice and quiet. When my game has successfully been running, HWinfo shows that everything inside the PC is not getting anywhere higher than 55 degrees Celsius, and I have checked at various occasions; immediately after game start-up, and long into a gaming session, and everything maintains consistency.

Things I have done to attempt to solve the problem. Disabled Game Optimizer for Norton; excluded the game folders from antivirus scans; did a fresh reinstall of my graphics driver using DDU; updated my monitor's firmware; updated C++ redistributables; done a full reinstall of the game; lowered the graphics settings and made various adjustments for performance improvement, even though it was already performing fine in-game. None of this has worked.

The last thing I can think is that my PSU is not able to meet the demand of my GPU, but I'm not really sure how to tell. Any help would be very much appreciated, thank you.

Here are my PC specs:

Processor: 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-11400F @ 2.60GHz 2.59 GHz
RAM: 16 GB
GPU: GeForce RTX 3060
PSU: Now, I'm not 100% positive, but based on CyberPower's website, my PC should have a 600W 80plus Gold PSU

Dec 29, 2022
  1. Open your PC case side panel.
  2. Take a picture of PSU's label.
  3. Upload it to net, e.g www.imgur.com
  4. Share the image here.
Simple as that.
Unfortun
  1. Open your PC case side panel.
  2. Take a picture of PSU's label.
  3. Upload it to net, e.g www.imgur.com
  4. Share the image here.
Simple as that.
Unfortunately, it's a prebuilt and after taking off both side panels the label is not visible. I'm pretty confident that it's the 600W listed on the website, all of CyberPower's PC's using the RTX 30 series lists the same PSU I described above.

Dec 29, 2022
Also: Look in Reliability History.

Do you see any error codes, warnings, or even informational events that occur just before or at the time of the described problems.

If so, take a screenshot and likewise post the screenshot via imgur.

I checked the event log and the only critical logs it shows are me force shutting down the computer when the display is lost; PCC Kernel or something. I'll reassemble the PC shortly and send pics of any warning messages, because there were quite a few, although I looked back through months and the same warning messages were showing.

Dec 29, 2022
Also: Look in Reliability History.

Do you see any error codes, warnings, or even informational events that occur just before or at the time of the described problems.

If so, take a screenshot and likewise post the screenshot via imgur.

View: https://imgur.com/a/GGRrHAj

Here's four pictures; 1 of the full Reliability History Log, and 3 logs at 10:04 AM since I specifically remember that timeframe. I actually didn't look at the Reliability History previously, so this is seems to give a lot more information.. although I can't exactly understand it lol.

Ralston18

Titan
My thought is one or more corrupted files. Reason/source unknown.

Desktop Windows Manager being a potential culprit.

First run the built in Windows Troubleshooters. The troubleshooters may find and fix something.

Then run"sfc /scannow" and "dism".

References:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

How to use DISM command tool to repair Windows 10 image | Windows Central

= = = =

Before doing anything at all be sure that all important data is backed up at least 2 x to locations away from the current problem PC.

Verify that the backups are both recoverable and readable.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Unfortunately, it's a prebuilt and after taking off both side panels the label is not visible.

In this case, you need to screw the PSU loose and look at those sides that are obscured by case panels. Since it is possible that the label is out of view.

In an event there is 0 label on PSU :mouais: , take it out completely, with all the power cables it has and throw it into trash. Since at that point, PSU would be equal to no-name crap. After, buy new, good quality PSU. E.g Seasonic Focus/PRIME or Corsair RM/RMi/RMx/HX/HXi/AX/AXi, in 650W range.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Yeah, I would be highly suspicious of a PSU without a label. If it was the standard that came with it, it's most likely an Apevia Prestige -- Cyberpower likes uses that one -- and while there are worse PSUs out there, it's not a good one.