Question Is my PSU drawing too much power from my socket?

Skripted

Commendable
Sep 28, 2020
I've had my new PSU (CX550M) for around 4-5 months now roughly, and I noticed that every so often there would be a very static-y electric buzz sound coming from it. I left it alone thinking it was coil whine, but recently I've noticed that whenever it's making that sound, my electric fan would simultaneously become weaker then return to normal once the sound was gone (it shares the same socket as the extension cord where my PSU is hooked up). Just recently, my lights flickered at the same time the sound was going off (along with the electric fan getting weaker). I wanted to ask what sort of problem is going on with my PSU and if it's a hazard (I am planning to RMA it, but I also use my PC for school and other important tasks).

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I've had my new PSU (CX550M) for around 4-5 months now roughly, and I noticed that every so often there would be a very static-y electric buzz sound coming from it. I left it alone thinking it was coil whine, but recently I've noticed that whenever it's making that sound, my electric fan would simultaneously become weaker then return to normal once the sound was gone (it shares the same socket as the extension cord where my PSU is hooked up). Just recently, my lights flickered at the same time the sound was going off (along with the electric fan getting weaker). I wanted to ask what sort of problem is going on with my PSU and if it's a hazard (I am planning to RMA it, but I also use my PC for school and other important tasks).
First eliminated the extension cord. These can have the wires to thin for the amps your drawing and be a fire hazard.

I wanted to ask what sort of problem is going on with my PSU and if it's a hazard (I am planning to RMA it, but I also use my PC for school and other important tasks).
Looks like the mains in the house is a hazard.
Where are you located?
What's the actual voltage on the mains?
What's powered on the same circuit the wall outlet of the PSU is connected to?

What are the specs of the system that's powered by the PSU?

Reactions: Eximo

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
What is the size of the main breaker box. 100AMP, 150AMP, 200AMP? Do you have Air Conditioning or Electric Heat? These can all have huge impacts on the voltage you see at any given outlet.

AC fans are noisy, electrically, best to keep that off the same socket as the computer too.

CX550M is on the lower end of the quality spectrum. Presumably it is one of the more recent models. The much older CX power supplies were notorious for dying.

A bigger PSU with larger capacitors may actually help if your household voltages are a little low.