[SOLVED] Is my PSU dying or is something overheating?

Jan 4, 2021
I have had problems with my pc where if I play a game that puts a decent load on my pc after about 5-15 minutes my pc simply turns off and back on again after a few seconds without displaying any error or BSOD (the pc turns off for about 3 seconds and then automatically turns back on again). To clarify, it's not the game that crashes/restarts, it's the entire pc.

I did multiple checks with OCCT and individual tests of components (I tested RAM, GPU, CPU and a variation of them+all of them) gave no results (the computer didn't restart) but the "power" test did restart it after about 10 mins.

Another thing I've noticed is that when I open up the case to see if I can spot anything going on inside it (checking for any error lights on the motherboard and such) the pc dosen't seem to restart as easily. I have cleaned my components and case at the end of summer with compressed air and I do regular cleaning every month or so by just opening the case and cleaning out any dust in the case (just a surface clean, not a deep one) so I doubt it could be dust causing it.

I tried to do the "observation" check on OCCT where it just keeps track of what's going on but since the pc restarts, the observation never ends and there is no log file made.

I ordered a new PSU but it only arrives in 2 weeks so I still have time to test other suggestions until then.

For those wondering the games I am having troubles on are:
Warframe, The division 2, Destiny 2, R6S, GTA V, CS:GO. (all relatively intensive games)
Games that I am playing without any issues are:
Gmod (binged it for like 8 hours the other day and it didn't crash once, but I do play it on a lower resolution because the letters are impossible to read at 4k), Dawn of war Dark crusade, War room.

Before you ask:

I don't have anything overclocked, I turned overclocking off when I started having these issiues but it didn't help.
My components are:
Processor: Intel i7-8700k. About 4-5 years old now, bought a pre built with only a motherboard, case and 8gb of ram.
GPU: RTX 2070 super. Bought it about a year and a half ago.
Motherboard: ASUS prime Z390-A. Bought it at arround the same time as the GPU.
PSU: Cooler master MWE gold 750. Also bought it with the GPU and Motherboard.
Ram: 24GB (3*8GB). 1 is about 4-5 years old (got it with a pre built pc) and 2 were bought with the PSU, Motherboard and GPU
I also have a 2 monitor setup where 1 is 4k and the other is 1080p (ofc I use the 4k as my main one)

Edit1: moved CS:GO to games that DO crash the pc and added clarification on what I already tested (at paragraph 2).
Edit2: Clarified that restating means crashing

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2021
I think the new power supply will solve your crashes
I really hope so, and there's a high chance it will but I'm just paranoid that I ether bought a PSU that wont fit in my case or wont have enough outputs, or that the PSU isn't the problem and there's something with another component

Jan 4, 2021
I have had problems with my pc where if I play a game that puts a decent load on my pc after about 5-15 minutes my pc simply turns off and back on again after a few seconds without displaying any error or BSOD (the pc turns off for about 3 seconds and then automatically turns back on again). To clarify, it's not the game that crashes/restarts, it's the entire pc.

I did multiple checks with OCCT and individual tests of components (I tested RAM, GPU, CPU and a variation of them+all of them) gave no results (the computer didn't restart) but the "power" test did restart it after about 10 mins.

Another thing I've noticed is that when I open up the case to see if I can spot anything going on inside it (checking for any error lights on the motherboard and such) the pc dosen't seem to restart as easily. I have cleaned my components and case at the end of summer with compressed air and I do regular cleaning every month or so by just opening the case and cleaning out any dust in the case (just a surface clean, not a deep one) so I doubt it could be dust causing it.

I tried to do the "observation" check on OCCT where it just keeps track of what's going on but since the pc restarts, the observation never ends and there is no log file made.

I ordered a new PSU but it only arrives in 2 weeks so I still have time to test other suggestions until then.

For those wondering the games I am having troubles on are:
Warframe, The division 2, Destiny 2, R6S, GTA V, CS:GO. (all relatively intensive games)
Games that I am playing without any issues are:
Gmod (binged it for like 8 hours the other day and it didn't crash once, but I do play it on a lower resolution because the letters are impossible to read at 4k), Dawn of war Dark crusade, War room.

Before you ask:

I don't have anything overclocked, I turned overclocking off when I started having these issiues but it didn't help.
My components are:
Processor: Intel i7-8700k. About 4-5 years old now, bought a pre built with only a motherboard, case and 8gb of ram.
GPU: RTX 2070 super. Bought it about a year and a half ago.
Motherboard: ASUS prime Z390-A. Bought it at arround the same time as the GPU.
PSU: Cooler master MWE gold 750. Also bought it with the GPU and Motherboard.
Ram: 24GB (3*8GB). 1 is about 4-5 years old (got it with a pre built pc) and 2 were bought with the PSU, Motherboard and GPU
I also have a 2 monitor setup where 1 is 4k and the other is 1080p (ofc I use the 4k as my main one)

Edit1: moved CS:GO to games that DO crash the pc and added clarification on what I already tested (at paragraph 2).
Edit2: Clarified that restating means crashing

I can't edit my thread anymore so I will just reply to it.
This would be Edit3: Final conclusion
Yes. My PSU arrived and it DID fix the problems, everything seems to be fixed and there dosen't seem to be any side effects from the crashes or the new PSU

Reactions: Flayed